Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Jay Walters <jw...@computer.org> on 2001/12/23 04:22:45 UTC

Crimson Problem

Iam finding that Crimson is very slow at performing validating parsing
of a specific XML input & DTD that I am using, where very slow is
something like > 1000X slower when validating.  Oddly enough I'm also
seeing the same problems with Xerces 1.4 and 2.0 only if I use the Jaxp
interfaces.  If I go right into xerces and use the DOMParser class then
it parses in a matter of a few seconds.

If I do a little profiling of the crimson execution I see all time
(essentially) is spent in ContentModel.emtpy().

Cheers

Re: Crimson/Xerces JAXP Problem

Posted by Jay Walters <jw...@computer.org>.
Sorry it's been a while.  With crimson I am using the DOMEcho sample
program.  It takes 3s with DOMEcho <xml file> and much much longer
(hours?) with DOMEcho -v <xml file>.  This is true whether I use
crimson.jar or xercesImpl.jar from the 2.0 Beta4 release.  Either way it
runs in < 10s with the Writer example from Xerces 2.0 Beta4 release.
Perhaps that one doesn't really validate if -v is turned on?  I would be
happy to send along the xml file and dtd if that would help. It's the
standard uml13.dtd file and a pretty small class model (< 2000 lines) in
the XML file.

Cheers

Re: Crimson Problem

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com>.