Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Meghna Baijal <me...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/12 00:50:42 UTC

MXNet: Run PR builds on Apache Jenkins only after the commit is reviewed

Hi All,
We would like to initiate a change in the way the PR builds are being triggered. At the moment, every time a Pull Request is created, a build gets triggered on Jenkins. Additional builds also get triggered due to changes to the same PR.
Too many PR builds leads to resource starvation and very long queues and long build times. Hence we would like to add some checks where a human reviewer manually marks it to something like “ok to build” before a PR build is triggered.

Do you think this approach would be helpful and we should move forward with it?

Thanks,
Meghna Baijal

Re: MXNet: Run PR builds on Apache Jenkins only after the commit is reviewed

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
Side note:

There is no "we". The below should say something like "I would like to
propose...", or "As part of my work at <Corporation>, I would like to
propose..." if it's coming from a team at your day job and you don't want
to hog all the glory :)

If it truly is "we", then the email should end with the "we" that the email
is from. For example a release announcement from me would say "We are proud
to release" and would end with "Hen, on behalf of the Apache MXNet project".

Hen

Posted by Chris Olivier <cj...@gmail.com>.
So are engineers.

Posted by shiwen hu <ya...@gmail.com>.
Incredibuild is expensive

Posted by Chris Olivier <cj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Olivier <cj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by shiwen hu <ya...@gmail.com>.
In addition, the recent CI congestion probably because of the windows CI
failure.

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.

Posted by Hagay Lupesko <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by shiwen hu <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Olivier <cj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Naveen Swamy <mn...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Madan Jampani <ma...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Naveen. This is not a one-way door. We can refine and improve
the process as needed in the future.
I don't see this as case of who works harder (machines or humans). PRs
always involve a manual step. All we are saying is lets do the full
verification when someone reviewed the changes and feels it is in a good
enough shape to be merged.

Posted by Naveen Swamy <mn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kumar, Gautam" <ga...@amazon.com>.
Agreed with Bhavin.