Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by andrew <an...@primer.org> on 2015/07/09 03:41:49 UTC

Allow Java 1.8

Hi,

Is there a reason we have an enforcement on Java versions as defined in the top-level pom.xml: [1.7, 1.8)? The code compiles for me just fine w/1.8. Is this merely
historical residue that can be relaxed or is there some deeper reason why Drill won’t/can’t work with 1.8?

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: Allow Java 1.8

Posted by Aditya <ad...@gmail.com>.
Most of the actual tasks to support JDK 8 were completed as sub-tasks of
DRILL-1491[1]

The only pending issue were few unit test failures DRILL-1489[2], which I
have not been able to reproduce till date, either on Windows or Linux.

If couple of other folks could take a stab and confirm either way, we could
start supporting JDK-8 from 1.2 release.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-1491
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-1489

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 12:44 AM, <mi...@nomura.com> wrote:

> I agree this would be very useful. Currently our Hadoop cluster and Spark
> are running on Java 1.8 and Drill is the only component left on 1.7, so
> ideally we could remove the reliance the older version of Java.
>
> Previously I have done some testing on Drill 1.0 on Java 1.8 and didn't
> hit any issues myself.

RE: Allow Java 1.8

Posted by mi...@nomura.com.

Re: Allow Java 1.8