Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2001/03/05 07:05:39 UTC

Telnet char-at-a-time problem still exists?

Folks,

  I really think this is a showstopper for 2.0 - unless folks can test
the server feeding characters at a time, we are broken.  I see no problem
with setting a timeout for the complete request to be assembled (to avoid
DNS attacks) but the current situation seems pretty intollerable.

  I was just closing a bugreport that required me to check the contenttype
of a file, so I tried telnet to HEAD that file, and it pretends I don't
exist (no response.)  It took me 1/2 hour to remember this bug.

  Did someone start working out the fix?

Bill

Re: Telnet char-at-a-time problem still exists?

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.
This was a killer on BeOS so once I've slept I'll see if we still have a
problem there, but it was all working a short while ago...

david

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@remulak.net>.
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
> > Folks,
> >
> >   I really think this is a showstopper for 2.0 - unless folks can test
> > the server feeding characters at a time, we are broken.  I see no problem
> > with setting a timeout for the complete request to be assembled (to avoid
> > DNS attacks) but the current situation seems pretty intollerable.
> >
> >   I was just closing a bugreport that required me to check the contenttype
> > of a file, so I tried telnet to HEAD that file, and it pretends I don't
> > exist (no response.)  It took me 1/2 hour to remember this bug.
> >
> >   Did someone start working out the fix?
>
> This did work at one time.  I tested this VERY extensively using my one
> Windows 98 machine.  If it no longer works, then it is because somebody
> modified the input filters.  I know that it did work at one time.

I tested it a bunch too, back when we were working on input filtering,
ap_getline(), and the mime header folding stuff.  I tried it again just
now, and it works fine for me.  I used telnet from WinNT 4.

Greg