Posted to dev@chemistry.apache.org by Gabriele Columbro <ga...@apache.org> on 2011/03/02 19:05:24 UTC

Is a custom LICENSE.vm needed at all? (was: Re: [VOTE] Release chemistry-jar-resource-bundle 0.3.0 (RC1))

Hi guys,
as in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CMIS-325, I'm wondering
why we need this custom LICENSE.vm (for just a few lines) at all
instead of using the stardard apache-jar-resource-bundle.

Technically speaking, the way we add it to the packages is the proper
one I believe (using the maven-shared-resources-plugin just as any
Maven ASF artifact).

Yes having it SVN would be easy. Maybe not in the LICENSE file. In the
README would work?

I would really just get rid of that custom ASF license file. What do
the others think?

I'm wondering how other ASF projects (with external dependencies) do.

Ciao,
Gab

--
Eng. Gabriele Columbro
Open source and ECM Architect

Re: Is a custom LICENSE.vm needed at all? (was: Re: [VOTE] Release chemistry-jar-resource-bundle 0.3.0 (RC1))

Posted by Gabriele Columbro <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi Jukka,
thanks for the clear answer.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Jukka Zitting <jz...@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03/02/2011 07:05 PM, Gabriele Columbro wrote:
>>
>> Technically speaking, the way we add it to the packages is the proper
>> one I believe (using the maven-shared-resources-plugin just as any
>> Maven ASF artifact).
>
> The main idea behind it is that all release packages should have a LICENSE
> file that includes or at least references the license terms of all IP
> included in that package.
>
> Thus we need to include such extra notes only in jars or other packages that
> include bits that are under other licenses than the ALv2. Most notably Maven
> dependencies need only be mentioned in the LICENSE file if the build embeds
> the dependencies in the resulting build artifact like is done for example in
> the dist and webapp packages.

I will then implement that for:
- All the WARs (referencing the META-INF/DEPENDENCIES file)
- All the commodity packages including 3rd party JARs (referencing the
root level DEPENDENCIES file)

I don't think we need anything specific then for the JARs since they
do not package anything external.

>> Yes having it SVN would be easy. Maybe not in the LICENSE file. In the
>> README would work?
>
> All licensing information should be in the LICENSE file. The best place to
> put such notes is in src/main/appended-resources/META-INF/LICENSE for jar
> archives and in the appropriate other locations for other kinds of archives.
>
> Using a shared resource bundle for this is useful if you'd otherwise end up
> duplicating the same information too many times, but it's probably not worth
> the extra complexity for eliminating just a few duplicates.

I agree with this approach. I reopened
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CMIS-325 to work on this,
and should be fairly easy to single source those few lines under the
parent project (since we already have a parentBasedir property in all
POMs).

>> I'm wondering how other ASF projects (with external dependencies) do.
>
> See [1] and [2] for how this is done in Jackrabbit for jar and war archives.
> There we explicitly include all the licenses of embedded external
> components, but also just a reference to the relevant license terms would be
> OK.
>
> [1]
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk/jackrabbit-spi-commons/src/main/appended-resources/META-INF/LICENSE
> [2]