Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "J.D. Williams" <jd...@austin.rr.com> on 2006/03/03 18:35:05 UTC

Migrating Cocoon site for static presentation

I have a Cocoon webapp that is nothing more than a way of presenting
XML-based documentation based on an arbitrary DTD. I use Cocoon instead
of another way of building the HTML output because it works better than
any other method I have tried.

The important thing is the DTD. It is required as a way of organizing
the content, which is quite complex and which my client requires. This
means we have developed XSL specifically for this content.

All is good so far.

However, a need has arisen to generate static Web sites for this content
for delivery via a Web server; i.e., not Tomcat or other servlet container.

Forrest looks like a good bet, and I have gotten the Forrest
documentation and demo site to work. Diving into the documentation to
determine how to migrate this particular project has proven a bit
confusing. I think the section "Customizing Your Content" was written
for a somewhat different scenario than the one I have in mind.

I have also read that the Cocoon CLI is another option, but have not
really "grokked" that one as yet.

So, if anyone on the list has done something similar and has any tips on
the best way to proceed, I would appreciate it. The directory structure
of the existing webapp is way simple, as follows:

|-- myproject

Re: Migrating Cocoon site for static presentation

Posted by "J.D. Williams" <jd...@austin.rr.com>.
No offense, but from a user's perspective they are still two very
different ways of going about it.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On 3/6/06, J.D. Williams <jd...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Actually, considering my background (not a Java programmer; moderately
> proficient in XML/XSL) and the state of documentation for all the tools
> available, Forrest is looking like the best solution for me.
>
> So far, I have been able to generate the documentation, seed a new site
> and generate static and webapp versions of the new site.
>
> Figuring out how to add your own content is fairly simple, as long as
> you stick with the default layout.
>
> The challenge for me is to create new content using my own DTD and XSL,
> and get forrest to generate that.
>
> Joe

If you decide to go this route, you should query
users@forrest.apache.org [1].  You should describe your use-case in a
little more detail over there but you might take a look at creating an
input plugin[2] for your custom dtd.

[1] - http://forrest.apache.org/mail-lists.html
[2] - http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/howto/howto-buildPlugin.html

Re: Migrating Cocoon site for static presentation

Posted by "J.D. Williams" <jd...@austin.rr.com>.

Posted by Fady Albashiti <fa...@taube.de>.

Posted by "J.D. Williams" <jd...@austin.rr.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "J.D. Williams" <jd...@austin.rr.com>.
Thanks, Fady.

I'll give this a try and let you know what happens.

Joe

Posted by Fady Albashiti <fa...@taube.de>.
Hi,