Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> on 2006/03/23 21:28:20 UTC

Requirements for SCA Cconfiguration

I think the loading discussion has been getting confused because we
don't have a clear set of requirements defined. In an attempt to clarify
this, here are the ones I have in mind:

* We need to be able to configure Tuscany in a test environment to
   support programmatic unit and integration tests. This should not
   require loading of any external configuration files.

* We need to provide a mechanism that users can use to configure
   container support when programatically testing their configurations.
   This should not require loading of any external configuration files.

* We need to be able to configure Tuscany from XML artifacts. These may
   be files, they may be other resources such as URLs or data streams.

* We need to provide mechanisms that make it easy for extension
   developers to meet all the above requirements. Developers must be
   able to contribute configuration information specific to their
   extension.

* Extension providers must be able to provide handlers for XML
   artifacts using technologies commonly accepted and familiar
   in open source environments.

* Users must be able to provide custom data values for configuration
   properties and references using any Java Object.

* Users must be able to provide mechanisms that construct those Objects
   from XML artifacts using a binding technology of their choice.

* The implementation should use technologies familiar to both Tuscany
   developers and to other open source developers who may be interested
   in contributing to the project.

* The implementation must be able to handle large configurations (1000
   components) with reasonable performance and memory consumption and
   linear scalability.

* The implementation must be easy to maintain long term for a typical
   project participant (remembering that many participants will be
   more interested in their extension than in model parsing).

Did I miss anything?
--
Jeremy

Re: Requirements for SCA Cconfiguration

Posted by Jim Marino <ji...@gmail.com>.
Can you take a look at mine too and let me know what you think -
Perhaps we could put your use cases in that context? I'm happy to
work the other way around but figured it may be easier with we also
start taking a stab at ordering.

Jim

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Marino <ji...@gmail.com>.