Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Erlend Garåsen <e....@usit.uio.no> on 2011/03/16 14:12:14 UTC

SSL and connection pooling

We are unsure whether we should use SSL in order to communicate with our
Solr server since it will increase the cost of creating http
connections. If we go for SSL, is it advisable to do some additional
settings for the HttpClient in order to reduce the connection costs?

After reading the Commons Http Client documentation, it is not clear to
me whether a connection pooling mechanism is enabled by default since
the documentation differs between version 4.1 and 3.1 (Solr uses the
latter).

Solr will run on Resin 4 with Apache 2.2, so perhaps we need to do some
additional adjustments in the httpd.conf file as well in order to
prevent Apache from closing the connections.

Erlend

--
Erlend Garåsen
University of Oslo

Re: SSL and connection pooling

Posted by Em <ma...@yahoo.de>.
Am 16.03.2011 14:12, schrieb Erlend Garåsen:

> We are unsure whether we should use SSL in order to communicate with
> our Solr server since it will increase the cost of creating http
> connections. If we go for SSL, is it advisable to do some additional
> settings for the HttpClient in order to reduce the connection costs?
>
> After reading the Commons Http Client documentation, it is not clear
> to me whether a connection pooling mechanism is enabled by default
> since the documentation differs between version 4.1 and 3.1 (Solr uses
> the latter).
>
> Solr will run on Resin 4 with Apache 2.2, so perhaps we need to do
> some additional adjustments in the httpd.conf file as well in order to
> prevent Apache from closing the connections.
>
> Erlend

first: You have to use SSL when you have to. If you can live with
 the fact that someone could watch your internal

      clear-text-data-streams, than do not use SSL. On the other hand:
      If you can not, than you definitely have to use SSL. <br>
      That should be the main-point for your technical dicission. Not
      performance.

      second: In my last checkout's ( a few weeks ago ) Solr repository,
      the CommonsHttpSolrServer uses a MultiThreaded-connection with 32
      connections per host and 128 total connections.

      Hope this helps.

      Regards,
      Em