Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Daniel M Garland <da...@titanemail.com> on 2005/09/24 17:46:28 UTC

Impact of not invalidating session

Hi all,

I decided to override the StaleSession page in Tapestry. Since the
requirements of my app don't really require the session to timeout for
any security reasons (e.g. to force a login) I thought I may as well
have a custom page that simply pings the user back to the homepage.

Looking at the code for the StaleSession page though, it forces the
HttpSesssion to invaldiate. To my mind, I don't really need to do this
since the stale session page would only be called if an active user
returned to a page after a period of inactivity- in which case I may as
well keep the minimal amount of information and not force the session to
invalidate.

I was wondering however what the impact of this is because I want
Tapestry to invalidate sessions that have been left inactive so that I
don't clog up the server with dead sessions. So basically my question is
if I don't have the StaleSession page force the sesison to invalidate
will I keep *every* dead session on the server?

TIA
Dan

Re: Impact of not invalidating session

Posted by Daniel M Garland <da...@titanemail.com>.
OK in other words does Tapestry invalidate the session for me anywhere else?

Dan