Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jon Wood <jo...@unitesouthampton.co.uk> on 2004/02/21 05:37:33 UTC

Problems with the commit-email script

I've been trying all day to use svn, but at the moment can't, because
the commit-email script isn't running properly.

I'm using a setuid (root) svnserve through an SSH tunnel (svn+ssh), and
have checked that the post-commit hook is being run by getting it to
dump commit info to a text file.

When I run the script by hand on the server (as root), the e-mail is
sent fine, but then when I do a commit, nothing ever gets sent.

post-commit script:
----------------------------

REPOS="$1"
REV="$2"

commit-email.pl "$REPOS" "$REV" jon.wood@unitesouthampton.co.uk

I'm using the vanilla commit-email.pl, as built by the latest FreeBSD
port of svn (svn, version 0.37.0 (r8509), from svn --version)

Re: Problems with the commit-email script

Posted by Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <as...@wxs.nl>.
-On [20040221 08:42], Eugene Eric Kim (eekim@blueoxen.org) wrote:
>Try using the full path name for commit-email.pl in the post-commit
>script.

I am still in favour for putting a

PATH=/sufficient/path/to/scripts:/and/tools; export PATH

in the scripts as help.

PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://diary.in-nomine.org/
If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind..?

RE: Problems with the commit-email script

Posted by Jon Wood <jo...@jellybob.co.uk>.
On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 20:05, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> There is also a python script called mailer.py which is the cousin of the
> perl script. It's more advanced than commit-email.pl.

Thanks for that, I've got it working now :)

Checking my mail logs it appears that it could actually have been the
mail server rejecting an address with no domain - sorry about the bad
call there.

It did help me to get to know svn a little better, and also got me using
the mailer.py script, which looks like it'll be more useful to me
anyway.

RE: Problems with the commit-email script

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
There is also a python script called mailer.py which is the cousin of the
perl script. It's more advanced than commit-email.pl.

HTH,

Erik.

Posted by Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <as...@wxs.nl>.
-On [20040221 21:02], Jon Wood (jon@jellybob.co.uk) wrote:
>Since I've got some spare time this evening I'm going to try writing a
>similar script in a language I actually know - I can't debug Perl at
>all.

I just used the mailer.py stuff in tools...

PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://diary.in-nomine.org/
Distance lends enhancement to the view...

RE: Problems with the commit-email script

Posted by Jon Wood <jo...@jellybob.co.uk>.

Posted by Johan Appelgren <jo...@appelgren.org>.
> On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 07:36, Eugene Eric Kim wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 05:37:33AM +0000, Jon Wood wrote:
> >
> > > When I run the script by hand on the server (as root), the e-mail is
> > > sent fine, but then when I do a commit, nothing ever gets sent.
> >
> > Try using the full path name for commit-email.pl in the post-commit
> > script.
> >
> It still doesn't work, I've tried turning on logging to /var/log/svn with
the -l > parameter, but nothing is ever getting written there.

> At this point, the problem is completely baffling me - sendmail is in the
right > place, and the script is also in the right place - I've checked this
by dumping > the output of "which commit-email.pl" etc. to a log file.

> Jon

Try to redirect stderr of commit-email.pl to a file in your post-commit
script. Should give you some hints of what goes wrong.

Johan

Re: Problems with the commit-email script

Posted by Jon Wood <jo...@jellybob.co.uk>.

Posted by Eugene Eric Kim <ee...@blueoxen.org>.
On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 05:37:33AM +0000, Jon Wood wrote:

> When I run the script by hand on the server (as root), the e-mail is
> sent fine, but then when I do a commit, nothing ever gets sent.

Try using the full path name for commit-email.pl in the post-commit
script.

-Eugene

--
Was I helpful?  Let others know.