Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2007/01/13 03:18:10 UTC

[ANN] Changes to permissions

Hi,

As we voted upon, the permissions have now been changed. If you are a
committer anywhere in Maven, you now (technically) can commit to any
subprojects or branches in the Maven tree.

But as was discussed, this doesn't change each of our
responsibilities in the community. Maven is big - and I would guess
that nobody knows about every piece of code here any more. If you are
jumping in to something for the first time, or coming back after a
long absence, it makes sense to just ask whether something you are
going to do is a good idea. The social permissions are still in
place. There are plenty of good examples given where people with the
best intentions muck things up and while in SVN its all reversible it
could well be a pain, and quite embarrassing :) So, if you are
uncertain about anything - just ask.

Of course, this doesn't affect any of the other rules such as voting
for code changes, releases, etc.

Also, remember that in addition all Apache committers have full
access to the Maven sandbox, and are welcome to request to create
branches of things that they'd like to try out.

That said, I hope this proves to be very useful in allowing people to
contribute in small parts with fixes, documentation, tests and to
spread the load of applying patches in areas that they might
otherwise have not been able to commit a huge amount of time to.

Cheers,
Brett