Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Andrey Ilinykh <ai...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/14 08:19:58 UTC

what happens while node is bootstrapping?

Hello, everybody!
I'd like to clarify a bootstrapping process. As far as I understand,
bootstrapping node starts to accept writes immediately.  What about
reads?
Bootstrapping node doesn't have all information, only replica nodes
have. Does it mean read operations with CL ALL may fail during
bootstrapping process?

Thank you,
  Andrey

Posted by Michael Kjellman <mk...@barracuda.com>.
Correct.

Also, there is a new feature in 1.1+ that lets you play with live traffic
on new nodes before they actually join the ring

http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/whats-new-in-cassandra-1-1-live-traffic-sa
mpling

On 10/16/12 9:42 AM, "Andrey Ilinykh" <ai...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> No.  The bootstrapping node will writes for its new range while
>> bootstrapping as consistency optimization (more or less), but does not
>> contribute to the replication factor or consistency level; all of the
>> original replicas for that range still receive writes, serve reads, and
>>are
>> the nodes that count for consistency level.  Basically, the
>>bootstrapping
>> node has no effect on the existing replicas in terms of RF or CL until
>>the
>> bootstrap completes.
>>
>I see. So, if I add new nodes to increase number of writes my cluster
>can handle I will not see any improvement until bootstrap process
>finished, which may take hours. Is it correct?
>
>Thank you,
>  Andrey

'Like' us on Facebook for exclusive content and other resources on all Barracuda Networks solutions.
Visit http://barracudanetworks.com/facebook

Re: what happens while node is bootstrapping?

Posted by Andrey Ilinykh <ai...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>

Re: what happens while node is bootstrapping?

Posted by Will Martin <wi...@voodoolunchbox.com>.
The Kafka team has resources for tuning the socket buffer sizes. It seems that with a reasonable amount of memory, there should be an activity queue waiting after the bootstrap process. Is this checked? Is it feasible to pick it up? Is this already done?

Posted by Andrey Ilinykh <ai...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jaipal Deswal <Ja...@wizecommerce.com>.
According to my experience if bootstrap is running on already Live cluster node (and dead from sometime) then it start serving read during bootstrap process also but if bootstrap is running on new node (which is joining cluster first time) then read requests will not go to this node until bootstrap completes

Bootstrapping nodes do not handle reads requests until the bootstrap process is complete.

JLewis

On Oct 13, 2012, at 11:19 PM, Andrey Ilinykh <ai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, everybody!
> I'd like to clarify a bootstrapping process. As far as I understand,
> bootstrapping node starts to accept writes immediately.  What about
> reads?
> Bootstrapping node doesn't have all information, only replica nodes
> have. Does it mean read operations with CL ALL may fail during
> bootstrapping process?
>
> Thank you,
>  Andrey

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This email message and any attachments are for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message along with any attachments, from your computer system. If you are the intended recipient, please be advised that the content of this message is subject to access, review and disclosure by the sender's Email System Administrator.

Re: what happens while node is bootstrapping?

Posted by John Lewis <le...@gmail.com>.