Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/30 04:22:38 UTC

TAP5-853 Progress

Been a couple of fun days.  I've put humpty-dumpty back together again.

Right now, most of the various service-layer and component-layer
transformations are operating through translation layers against the
old APIs.

I'll be shifting a lot of them over to the new APIs, especially the
ComponentClassTransformWorker to ComponentClassTransformWorker2.

I'm hoping at the end of this, we'll see faster page load times, and
less use of both permgen and heap, plus greater stability, especially
on Java 1.6.

In terms of that ... I think simply switching over to the new APIs
will accomplish a lot of desired changes. In addition, there will be
opportunities to use direct bytecode generation in 5.3 where 5.2 had
to use method advice and field access ... for example, generating
getters and setters in 5.2 means creating two new methods, and
creating advice objects for those methods (two pieces of advice, plus
two new ComponentMethodInvocation objects).  As revised, it will be
just a bit of bytecode, not additional classes, no additional advice.
Given just how many fields have @Property, that should add up in the
aggregate to quite a savings.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship