Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "Polhodzik Peter (ext)" <Pe...@evosoft.com> on 2013/05/31 13:44:08 UTC

GPL Incompatibility in Apache Tika 1.2

No GPL-ed code may be distributed under Apache software. Isn't this file incompatible with the main Apache 2.0 license within this component?

component: Apache Tika 1.2
file: 	tika-1.2\tika-core\src\test\resources\org\apache\tika\mime\evilhtml.html
license:

************************* BLUE-DOT Version 1.0 ************************* Rhesus Media Group; The Home of Film | Web | Business Solutions Designed by: Gabriel Nwoffiah Rhesus Media Group http://www.rhesusmedia.com

Copyright (C) 2004 Rhesus Media Group
Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License This software may be used without warrany provided these statements are left intact and a "Powered By Mambo" appears at the bottom of each HTML page.
This code is available at http://www.mosforge.net

Thanks,
Peter Polhodzik

Re: GPL Incompatibility in Apache Tika 1.2

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (398J)
<ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Benson,
>
> I didn't author the file myself, but I don't interpret the file
> that way looking at it with my Tika PMC hat on. The intent matters
> much in this type of situation and like I said I don't think that's
> the intent.

You've moved it to the right place, and your view is much more
relevant than mine.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (398J)
<ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Mark,

It is a bit more complicated that that.  At the end of the file is
indeed a simple declarative sentence concerning Joomla.  That isn't
the concern. The concern is the style section that is explicitly
licensed under the terms of the GPL.

We copied that.  We put it into SVN.  Users can get it from us.
That's distribution.  Which means two things: we need to comply with
the terms under which that material was made available to us, and we
need to comply with our own policies.

I see no evidence that we are not complying with the terms of the
license, so no issue there.

That leaves the policy question.  There doesn't currently exist
relevant a 'type of resource' exception in the current policy.  If
that is something that somebody wishes to pursue, they would need to
make the case for such an exception.

- Sam Ruby

Re: GPL Incompatibility in Apache Tika 1.2

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> The file says:
>
> 102:Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License
> 103-This software may be used without warrany provided these statements are left
> 104-intact and a "Powered By Mambo" appears at the bottom of each HTML page.
> 105-This code is available at http://www.mosforge.net
>
> Is the file dual-licensed under "either GPL or lines 103--104, at your
> choice"?

AFAICT that license header comes from a Joomla template [1] used by
the originating web site. Like many such templates, it attaches its
license header to the generated web page, but only a small part
(perhaps just the license header) of the template is really included
in the HTML file that mostly just refers to related CSS and other
style resources.

Thus Chris' point that the file is probably not under GPL, or an
interpretation that our use of it as a test resource falls within fair
use as a citation (which would cover also the non-GPL parts of the
HTML file),  is IMHO defensible.

Anyway, as mentioned by Chris, the cleanest and simplest solution here
is probably just to remove or replace any potentially troublesome bits
of the file. We only really need the structure of the file as a test
case, so any dummy content should do.

[1] http://www.joomla24.com/remository/Download/Joomla_1.0.x_Templates_II/Templates_from_Rhesus_Media_Group/Blue-Dot.html

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: GPL Incompatibility in Apache Tika 1.2

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
I've filed: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1129

to simply update the text in that file to test the same HTML/whatever
that the unit test was testing.

Agree that it was poorly chosen text; not interested in meta discussions
or semantics of whether it's GPL or not (I don't think it is; but enough
people have question about it that we should just update the text to
fulfill
what the unit test was testing, but not scare people - bad evilhtml.html!)

I'm going to roll the 1.4 Tika RC #1 this week, so this TIKA-1129
should ship with that update, and all should be well.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Mark,

>On 31/05/2013 14:23, Mattmann, Chris A (398J) wrote:
>> Thanks guys.
>>
>> Reading the below, it's a test HTML file that is used to evaluate
>> HTML parsing in Tika -- it's named "evilhtml.html", and it's not
>> code - it's a test resource.
>
>The type of resource is irrelevant. It does not matter if is code, an
>image, or something else. Part of it is still GPL'd.

No it's not.

It's no more GPL'ed than any file I open up in emacs and type the text
'GPL' in.

>> So, we're not actually distributing code here,
>
>Again. The type of resource doesn't matter. Apache Tikka *is*
>distributing a GPL'd file. As per [1] GPL'd resources *may not* be
>included in Apache products.

It's not a GPL resource.

>> any more so than
>> if I write a text file called FOO.txt and say "GPL in it", and
>> then include that as a parsing resource.
>
>The text "GPL" on its own would be fine. If you add the text "This file
>is licensed under the GPL" then the file is licensed under the GPL and
>it may not be included in an Apache release.

I didn't add the text, but I think this is semantic. Apache Tika is a
parsing
toolkit and the file is included to "test" the HTML file.

It can be easily removed, but as I mentioned, I disagree with the perceived
intent.

>Further, the GPL'd file should not be in svn. [1] provides guidance how
>such files may optionally by used.
>
>Mark
>
>[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

I understand that guidance, but I'm questioning your assertion that it's
GPL.
I don't believe it is.

Anyhoo feel free to continue the discussion on dev@tika, since I've moved
the thread over there.

Cheers,
Chris

Re: GPL Incompatibility in Apache Tika 1.2

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.