Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/05 08:33:50 UTC

Phoenix Beta

Folks,

Can we debate a feature cap for a beta release please?
Last time this was raised, we were talking of imminent JMX work being
the blocker..... has that now been achieved?

- Paul

Re: Phoenix Beta

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Monday 05 August 2002 02:33 am, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Can we debate a feature cap for a beta release please?
> Last time this was raised, we were talking of imminent JMX work being
> the blocker..... has that now been achieved?

We can debate :) I have no major features to add at the moment. Stephen's
suggestions about the metainfo merging are good, and the value is doing that
now vs a 4.1 / 4.0.1 release are debateable. (Might be good to just do some
docs + polish up what we have and get a release out the door)

Personally, I want to write some more docs before a final release.
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org

Re: Phoenix Beta

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
I'm going to do the beta release in some hours and make the news
announcements over the next 24 hours.

Question : Do I have to sign the releases?  If so, how do I do that
under windows?

- Paul

Re: Phoenix Beta

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Folks,

I will do the beta tomorrow.  But for now you can see a preview (with
working JMX) at

 http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon-phoenix/nightly/2002-08-10/

   JMX is visible at localhost:8082 (for those that need reminding).

The demo sar file is there too.

- Paul

Re: Phoenix Beta

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Leo,  Peter,

You guys are not accounting for all the CVS history :
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-avalon/src/java/org/apache/avalon/framework/CascadingError.java?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Too late now dudes!

- PAul

Re: Phoenix Beta

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Re: Phoenix Beta

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 16:26, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Peter,
>
> What is the thinking behind changing your <author> tags to not have an @
> character in your email addr?

I get close to 50 emails a day due to whatever the latest MS virus is combined
with about 2-8 bits of spam. Mainly thats because my email address is easily
harvested from website - just trying to make it a little harder to do ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Phoenix Beta

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,  Folks,

>it can always be done later. Just go with what we have now.

This is perhaps the last nightly before I run thru the checklist for the
beta release.  Can people check it if they have time?

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon-phoenix/nightly/2002-08-06/

Re: Phoenix Beta

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:14, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Can we recap what we are still trying to code in time for the beta?
>
> 1) New MBeans geneation scheme?
>
> I think we have agreed that this can now wait for post beta, or even
> post release.
>
> 2) ContainerKit compatibility?

No need to wait. Just go ahead now. As long as people are using the Doclet to
generate the xinfo files then no one will notice. Even if you are not using
the doclets and hand generating the files I was planning on supporting the
old format for at least a year before removing it.

> It looks like this is going in now.  Any ideas on ETA Pete?

it can always be done later. Just go with what we have now.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
 Mark Twain: "In the real world, the right thing never
happens in the right place at the right time. It is
the task of journalists and historians to rectify
this error."

Re: Phoenix Beta

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 01:14, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Can we recap what we are still trying to code in time for the beta?
>
> 1) New MBeans geneation scheme?
>
> I think we have agreed that this can now wait for post beta, or even
> post release.

+1 It sounds like it can be implemented in a backwards-compatible way
later.

> 2) ContainerKit compatibility?
>
> It looks like this is going in now.  Any ideas on ETA Pete?

this should also be transparent to users so we can ship it whenever, I
think.

- Leo

Re: Phoenix Beta

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Folks,

Can we recap what we are still trying to code in time for the beta?

1) New MBeans geneation scheme?

I think we have agreed that this can now wait for post beta, or even
post release.

2) ContainerKit compatibility?

It looks like this is going in now.  Any ideas on ETA Pete?

----

I'm pushing this cos my boss says in order for us to use Phoenix in our
(nameless) company, we have have an FCS.  I'm hoping that comes in a
matter of a couple of weeks.  I know it is ready, Phoenix has moved
little all year.  I am hoping that those who have work in head, can wait
post release or code it on a branch......

- Paul

Re: Phoenix Beta

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Stephen,

> The principal issue I have concerning Phoenix escalation to beta
> concerns (a) the XML schema used to describe blocks, and (b) the
> specification of how blocks are declared.  Currently the Phoenix
> platform uses <blockinfo/> and the existence of blocks is derived from
> the assembly/configuration info.  In the past, block existence was
> declared in the manifest files containing the block implementation -
> however this does not seem to be the case anymore.

We generate them now, but ony for the Apache hosted phoenix blocks.
 Users of Phoenix can still hand craft the xinfo files if they want to.

> I believe Pete is also in the process of adding support for the
> containerkit schema.

Can we agree a list of things that must go in this beta versus the next
beta? versus a post release minor increment.  It is *really* important
to my company that a FCS Phoenix appears RSN.

> [..]

- Paul

Re: Phoenix Beta

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Hi Paul:

The principal issue I have concerning Phoenix escalation to beta
concerns (a) the XML schema used to describe blocks, and (b) the
specification of how blocks are declared.  Currently the Phoenix
platform uses <blockinfo/> and the existence of blocks is derived from
the assembly/configuration info.  In the past, block existence was
declared in the manifest files containing the block implementation -
however this does not seem to be the case anymore.  I believe Pete is
also in the process of adding support for the containerkit schema.

At the same time we have components using the Merlin model which
includes additional meta-info dealing with (a) lifecycle phase
dependencies, (b) lifecycle extension handler provision, and (c) a type
specific default configuration.  Merlin provides support for both the
"containerkit" DTD and the Merlin "type" DTD so loading containerkit
(Phoenix) based components into Merlin will not be a problem.  However,
the absence of manifest based declaration of the components within a jar
file is problematic.  Merlin uses this information to establish
potential component service provider candidates whereas Phoenix assumes
that the everything is declared in the assembly.xml file.

Assuming that the containerkit schema is included in Phoenix, then, the
only issue concerning interoperability of phoenix style components in
Merlin is the resolution of the Manifest question.

We could also go a step further and replace the containerkit meta-info
model for the excalibur.meta meta-info model.  This would ensure an even
higher level of interoperability and its very simple to do - all it
implies is that the (a) containerkit meta info uses excalibur.meta
instead of the current containerkit.info package (which is really easy
because excalibur.meta is already packaged as a separate extension jar
file), and (b) Phoenix would need to check for things it cannot support
(e.g. lifecycle extensions implied by phase, extension elements), and
(c) manage or throw out types that declare default configurations.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: Phoenix Beta

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Huw,

> I'd like to go through and add markup for the phoenix components.
> That won't be too hard - end of the week at the latest.

Given that you say this breaks backwards compatibility, I think it might
be best to ship a beta that does not contain functionality that is
implemented differently in the next beta.  So, yes get it done dude if
you think it is easy as you say.

> Can documentation be added after the beta release?

Yup, though it is not as scary as it apears ;-)

- Paul

Re: Phoenix Beta

Posted by Huw Roberts <hu...@apache.org>.
At 07:33 AM 8/5/02 +0100, you wrote:
>Folks,
>
>Can we debate a feature cap for a beta release please?
>Last time this was raised, we were talking of imminent JMX work being the
>blocker..... has that now been achieved?
>
>- Paul

I'd like to go through and add markup for the phoenix components.  That
won't be too hard - end of the week at the latest.

Can documentation be added after the beta release?

- Huw