Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Atholl Tomlinson <at...@techcharge.com> on 2003/05/29 23:38:35 UTC

[users@httpd] DocumentRoot Bug?

Hi All

 I've trying to setup a relative path for the Documentroot directive so
that
 I can move the Apache install to a different drive or file location
without having
 to change the httpd.conf file.

If I use the absolute path everything works fine e.g. DocumentRoot
 "c:/apache/www"

When I try to set a relative path (Reletive from ServerRoot) e.g.
 DocumentRoot "www" the server starts but I can't see any pages.

According the the following text in httpd.conf this should work.
>If the filenames do *not* begin with "/", the value of ServerRoot is
>prepended -- so "logs/foo.log" with ServerRoot set to "c:/Apache2"
>will be interpreted by the server as "c:/Apache2/logs/foo.log"

I've tried this on Apache 1.3.27 and 2.0.43 running on Windows XP
Professional
I've also tried using an alias with a relative path on both Apache
1.3.27 and 2.0.43

Interestingly enough the alias on Apache 2.0.43 is the only one that
works.

As I said before everything works fine if I use an absolute path.

Am I missing something or should I log this as a bug?
Thanks
Atholl

RE: [users@httpd] DocumentRoot Bug?

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.
Apache wasn't build *on* windows, therefore some directives in win32 systems
will be different than the documentation will represent, or maybe you
weren't looking in the right sections.

I started using Apache on win32 based machines and found it sometimes not
identical as per the documentation say, therefore I would say - experience.
At the same way you got to find that you'll get to know more, and that's why
I'm here - to help with my knowledge and to learn from others.

All the best,
Jeff Cohen
Support@GEJ-IT.com
Tel. (416) 917-2324