Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gd...@macromedia.com> on 2002/03/18 15:00:30 UTC

SOAP 1.2 support

Guys:

The XMLP WG is looking for SOAP 1.2 implementations which support, or are planning to support, the new spec.

Axis already supports a few of the features in 1.2, but I'd like to push forward and bring it as close to full compliance as possible.

One of the things this means is that a lot of the places we're currently using constants need to shift to a more flexible approach.  For instace, a bunch of the deser/ser code is really hardcoded to use the 1.1 namespaces.  You can switch to the 1.2 ones, but you currently need to recompile to do it, and I think we should support both protocols simultaneously.  Here's what I propose as a first step to deal with this - we introduce a SOAPConstants interface, with a simple interface including getEnvelopeURI(), getEncodingURI(), getMustUnderstandQName(), etc.  We provide a SOAP11Constants and a SOAP12Constants class as implementations.  Then we define a MessageContext field that holds one of these, and switch all the constant usage to use this - for instance "URI_SOAP_ENV" -> "soapConstants.getEnvelopeURI()".  The particular SOAPConstants to be used is selected either by looking at the envelope namespace of an incoming message (server) or by manually setting a switch on the Call (client).  Services by default will accept either, but can be configured to only do one or the other.

Sound OK?  Among the other things we'll need to change are the default type mappings, since SOAP 1.2 will need a different ArraySerializer.

--Glen

Re: SOAP 1.2 support

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
+1 to SOAP 1.2.

Somewhat Related Question: When are we going to update Axis to jaxrpc-0_8?

Thanks,
dims

=====
Davanum Srinivas - http://xml.apache.org/~dims/