Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Anibal Constante Brito <ac...@hotmail.com> on 2002/06/23 23:15:16 UTC

what happen with this maillist

how can I unsubcribe of this maillist, I don't remmenber how many message I
send to the list for unsubcribe myself, but don't work, somebody can tellme
what happen

Owen.

Re: what happen with this maillist

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

[ ... ]
> Hint ... see the line below, which is added to the bottom of every
> single message you receive from the list:

> So, all you need to do is send an empty message to
> "tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org" and answer the
> confirmation message that you get back.
>
> However, this only works if the "from" address in your mailer is the
> address with which you are subscribed.  There is no subscription to
> TOMCAT-USER under "aconstante_00@hotmail.com", so you must have
> either subscribed under some other address, or someone else is
> subscribed and is forwarding the mail to you.
>
> In the first case, you will need to figure out what address you
> subscribed under.  In the second case, you will need to figure out
> who is forwarding the mail to you, and ask them to stop -- there is
> nothing the Tomcat list administrators can do because we don't know
> who it is either.

And there should be a header line that indicates what address the list
sent the message to (i.e. what address you are subscribed under).  I
see it on the Return-Path header, but if you can show all your
headers, you should be able to see it too.  Here's what the info looks
like:

tomcat-user-return-23591-mepstein=uiuc.edu@jakarta.apache.org

The 23591 is some kind of message index/number.  My subscribed address
is mepstein@uiuc.edu (it changes "@" to "=" in that header).

So if you can find that header, that should allow you to unsubscribe.
I think you can then send a message to

where "name@machine.com" is the subscribed address.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)
mepstein@uiuc.edu

Re: what happen with this maillist

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Anibal Constante Brito wrote:

> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 17:15:16 -0400
> From: Anibal Constante Brito <ac...@hotmail.com>
> To: Tomcat <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: what happen with this maillist
>
> how can I unsubcribe of this maillist, I don't remmenber how many message I
> send to the list for unsubcribe myself, but don't work, somebody can tellme
> what happen

Mailing a request like this to the list doesn't do any good -- that just
sends your message to the entire list.

> Owen.

Hint ... see the line below, which is added to the bottom of every single
message you receive from the list:

So, all you need to do is send an empty message to
"tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org" and answer the confirmation
message that you get back.

However, this only works if the "from" address in your mailer is the
address with which you are subscribed.  There is no subscription to
TOMCAT-USER under "aconstante_00@hotmail.com", so you must have either
subscribed under some other address, or someone else is subscribed and is
forwarding the mail to you.

In the first case, you will need to figure out what address you subscribed
under.  In the second case, you will need to figure out who is forwarding
the mail to you, and ask them to stop -- there is nothing the Tomcat list
administrators can do because we don't know who it is either.

Craig

Re: what happen with this maillist

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Anibal Constante Brito wrote:

> how can I unsubcribe of this maillist, I don't remmenber how many
> message I send to the list for unsubcribe myself, but don't work,
> somebody can tellme what happen

Check/search the archives for info on the idiosyncracies of
unsubscribing from this list.  I know I've explained them a couple of
times myself.