Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by "Mrowczynski, Krzysztof" <kr...@siemens.com> on 2022/10/28 11:35:25 UTC

PDFBox 1.8.17 vs. CVE-2021-27906, CVE-2021-27807

Hello, good morning!

In our project we would like to use PDFBox library. According to mentioned
CVE's  ALL versions below 2.0.23 are affected. Recently - 15th Sempteber
2022 the PDFBox 1.8.17 was released. Unfortunately I cannot find any
information about mitigation of the vulnerability in release notes. Can you
please confirm if the vulnerability is still present in 1.8.17?

Thank you in advance for support,
Have a great day

Kind regards,
Krzysztof Mrówczyński

Siemens Digital Logistics Sp. z o.o.
Departament R&D

ul. Swobodna 1 | 50-088 Wrocław
P +48 71 799 21 00
Mail:  <ma...@siemens-logistics.com>
krzysztof.mrowczynski@siemens.com
 <http://www.siemens-digital-logistics.com/>
www.siemens-digital-logistics.com

Management: Arkadiusz Wójtowicz, Anna Cieślik
Registered office: Swobodna 1, 50-088 Wrocław, Poland
Register Court: Enterprise Division VI of the National Court Register,
District Wrocław-Fabryczna KRS number 0000008147
Tax Identification Number: PL 8971648009
Share capital: 1.375.000,00 PLN

Confidential @ Siemens Digital Logistics Sp. z o.o.  All rights reserved.

Important notice: This e-mail and any attachment thereof contain corporate
proprietary information. If you have received it by mistake, please notify
us immediately by reply e-mail and delete this e-mail and its attachments
from your system. Thank you.

Re: PDFBox 1.8.17 vs. CVE-2021-27906, CVE-2021-27807

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Hi,
It wasn't lost and there is an answer. Maybe you didn't subscribe.
https://lists.apache.org/thread/2gcjrpdrlz8nrh3crnml2k80lvl6ns0b
Tilman

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

according to the description of both CVEs are about PDFBox 2.0.x

"This issue affects Apache PDFBox version 2.0.22 and prior 2.0.x versions.
References"

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2021-27906
https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2021-27807

The usage of 1.8.17 is discouraged. There are still some bugfix releases from
time to time but the whole 1.8.x branch is outdated and it is expected to be set
to EOL once 3.0.0 is released.

You should start with 2.0.x. Currently the most recent version is 2.0.27

Andreas

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
I doubt that it was fixed in 1.8.*. You should update to 2.0.27. There
are more disadvantages (bugs!) in 1.8.17 than two CVEs which have never
been exploited in the wild, and which will just crash or freeze your
system, but not result in data access.

Tilman