Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by SRama <su...@techie.com> on 2009/11/13 04:35:43 UTC

how to find tomcat binary distribution service name

Hi Guys,
I am using tomcat v6 (binary distribution), tomcat working fine here I would
like to find tomcat service name, When I try to find through taskmanager it
will not showing anything  related to tomcat but it showing only java.exe,
please let me know how to find corresponding tomcat service name..

Re: how to find tomcat binary distribution service name

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
SRama wrote:
> Thanks for your reply
> I am using binary distribution tomcat and zip format, and also I am starting
> through startup.bat file

Ok then, you are not running Tomcat as a service, you are running it
from a command window.
That is a good reason why you do not find its name in the services applet.

To install and run tomcat as a service :
In the tomcat/bin directory, there is a script called "service.bat".
Run it.
It will install tomcat as a windows service.
After that you will find it in the "Services" applet.

The other distribution (the exe file) is an automatic installer, which
installs Tomcat as a windows service immediately.
Unfortunately, it does not contain all the files that the zip version
contains, so in my opinion the one you have is better.

Posted by SRama <su...@techie.com>.
Thanks for your reply

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: SRamasamy [mailto:sujay@techie.com]
> Subject: RE: how to find tomcat binary distribution service name
>
> Tomcat have service name and also its configured with server.xml

The name configured in server.xml and the Windows service name are completely independent.  The Windows service name defaults to TomcatN, where N is the first component of the Tomcat level.  You can use the service.bat script to install the service under any name you choose.

> when I run tomcat binary version why it was not listing showing
> service name?

Where were you looking for the service name?

> I have checked through command prombt “tasklist “

That lists all services and any other processes that are running.  If Tomcat's installed as a service, it appears as tomcatN.exe.  If not installed as a service and not running, it won't show up.  If it's running from the startup.bat script it will show up as a java.exe program.

> how OS will identified the server instance?

It doesn't.

> How OS will create pid ?

Pretty much randomly assigned, just guaranteed to be unique for the life of the process.

> Please let me can I possible to take tomcat pid on windows on
> command prombt?

Try using the jps utility from the JDK.

 - Chuck

RE: how to find tomcat binary distribution service name

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: SRama [mailto:sujay@techie.com]
> Subject: RE: how to find tomcat binary distribution service name
>
> if i use  tomcat binary version start  startup.bat how to find tomcat
> wheter tomcat is stated or not ?

Send Tomcat an HTTP request with a wget program.  Versions exist in both C and Java.

 - Chuck

RE: how to find tomcat binary distribution service name

Posted by SRama <su...@techie.com>.
Thanks for yor reply,
we have problem is admin rights, our product will install and run with out
admin rights,because of the reason only we are going for binary verion of
tomcat, but our business requirments need to verify server stated or not?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by SRama <su...@techie.com>.
Thanks for your reply, if want to do through command prompt using "net start"
user need admin rights.
to start install ?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by SRama <su...@techie.com>.
I was tryint to  start through service.bat but it shows i have checked path
it looks good
Usage: service.bat install/remove [service_name]

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by SRama <su...@techie.com>.
Thanks for your reply

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.