Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com> on 2003/05/16 00:39:37 UTC

Improving FAQ readability on FOP/faq.html

I posted this to the FOP-DEV list and they recommended I post it here
instead...

I've noticed that the TOC for the FAQ page is hard to read:

http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html

(perhaps others have noticed this too?). I figure, that if you remove
the hyperlink to the numbered items (leaving the links for their
sub-items), it'll probably improve readability:

* 1. General Questions (<-- remove this hyperlink)
      o What is FOP? (<-- leave these hyperlinks)
      o What can I do with FOP? (<-- leave these hyperlinks)
      ... (<-- leave these hyperlinks)
* 2. Problems running FOP (<-- remove this hyperlink)
      o yata yata (<-- leave these hyperlinks)

It might also help to put a space-before="6pt" for each of those
numbered items.

In addition, is there a reason that the "ordered" list items are
preceded by an "unordered" "bullet"? (see above)? It seems like it could
be removed.
--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com

Re: Improving FAQ readability on FOP/faq.html

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Hi Jeff,

On 5/18/2003 5:10 AM, Jeff Turner wrote:
>>* 1. General Questions (<-- remove this hyperlink)
>>     o What is FOP? (<-- leave these hyperlinks)
>
> Thanks, I've implemented these suggestions.  See attached screenshot.
>
> --Jeff

Thanks for the quick work! Any idea, when this would get propagated to
the LIVE FOP and forrest sites?

BTW, I noticed that e-mail addresses get the <at> treatment, which is
pretty cool. However, while I applaud doing it for personal addresses,
but it seems silly to give the treatment to addresses like
<forrest-dev-subscribe<at>xml.apache.org>. Is there any sort of switch
one can use to *not* fix e-mail addresses in the generation process?

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.