Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2006/03/05 02:23:28 UTC

Development process

I've finally reviewed the dev process and made some edits. I made them
independently so they can relatively easily be rolled back.

a) Put the burden of merging on developers instead of a "release
manager". Changes need to go to the branch sooner and I think this is
what we were doing anyway. Also added about JIRA fix for's.

b) Clarified when a release branch should be created (rather than "well
in advance", I said "when no new features are being developed")

c) Removed concept of "component leader". Anyone can propose a release
should be considered and discussion can take place on the list. Expanded
on the voting stuff.

d) added some notes about how to do RCs now, in lieu of other TODO items

e) added TODO for the official release bit

f) added experimental branch stuff

If there are no disagreements, Jason, could you call a vote to set this
in stone for 2.0.4 and onwards? Worth CCing continuum, wagon, scm-dev
since it affects them too, even though most of them are here. Vote
should take place on dev@ only.

- Brett

Re: Development process

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Brett Porter wrote:
> I've finally reviewed the dev process and made some edits. I made them
> independently so they can relatively easily be rolled back.
>
> a) Put the burden of merging on developers instead of a "release
> manager". Changes need to go to the branch sooner and I think this is
> what we were doing anyway. Also added about JIRA fix for's.
>
> b) Clarified when a release branch should be created (rather than "well
> in advance", I said "when no new features are being developed")
>
> c) Removed concept of "component leader". Anyone can propose a release
> should be considered and discussion can take place on the list. Expanded
> on the voting stuff.
>
> d) added some notes about how to do RCs now, in lieu of other TODO items
>
> e) added TODO for the official release bit
>
> f) added experimental branch stuff
>
> If there are no disagreements, Jason, could you call a vote to set this
> in stone for 2.0.4 and onwards? Worth CCing continuum, wagon, scm-dev
> since it affects them too, even though most of them are here. Vote
> should take place on dev@ only.

I'll review and I believe Alan wanted to take a look and a few of the
other core developers should also review before a vote is called. We
might as well have the process sorted and have the vote be a formality
then bounce back and forth after the vote has been issued. So anyone who
is interested in the development process take a look at

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Development+Process

Say give people Monday to look things over and get in any thoughts and
then call the vote Tuesday morning EST. That should line up with the
release pretty closely at any rate.

I think everyone agrees on the merging as soon as possible so the second
the 2.0.3 release is done then we can mark the revision and do the
developer initiated merging but let people mull over any of the other
items. I know that you, John, Jesse, and myself have looked at it but
I'm not sure about anyone else.