Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Eric Charles <er...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/02 16:28:24 UTC

Re: Now need help setting up James

Hi Marc,

1. Some examples may not updated. Take care...

2. mailrepositorystore.xml is not about your mailbox (see
http://james.apache.org/server/3/feature-persistence.html, we are open
for any new name...). Did you find mailbox.xml? You will need to change
database.properties to setup you MySQL connection. If you want to store
mails in MySQL, which path are you looking for?

Yes, we need to fix the links to the examples...

Thx,

Eric

On 30/10/11 15:20, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
> Having gotten James up an running (hopefully) on Eclipse, I have turned
> my attention to configuring the beta1 version and got part way before
> hitting the next snag, actually 2 snags so far...
>
> 1. For most of the .xml configuration files, I found the corresponding
> examples under container-spring>src>main>config>examples and since I
> like having embedded comments/documentation in the actual config files
> that I will be working with, I have been copying the examples over the
> top of the actual configuration files and then making appropriate
> modifications for my environment. That worked fine until I got to the
> mailetcontainer.xml file, where I found the example version to be
> remarkably different from the version I had copied from
> container-spring>src>main>config>James to my conf folder. So, can I use
> the example version as a starting point, or have things gotten out of
> sync and I must use the version that I originally copied over to my conf
> directory? The example version seems to be a lot easier to grok and
> understand/guess on parameter values, and eventually I am going to want
> to bring in the mailets/matchers I am currently using in my James 2.3
> server... and it appears that it will make more sense to use the example
> version, for example adding in the ability to use the clam anti-virus
> process as well as the mail list handlers....
>

> 2. I am confused about how to set up the mail store configuration also.
> The file - mailrepositorystore.xml seems to be defining the possible
> different methods, but it seems to be incomplete. I just want to use the
> file store method for storing the actual emails, spam, etc., and will
> just use MySQL for the various mail list users (eventually). But I do
> not see where/how one specifies the actual path to set the root
> directory of the file system where the mail is to be stored. The
> documentation in the Users Manual alludes to it, but either I am not
> finding a good example showing the details, or I am missing something..
> I did find another configuration file - mailbox.xml which seems to be
> where one makes the selection on storage method, but again I am not
> grokking it because I don't see how I am suppose to select the file
> storage method... So I am lost and need a friendly guide...
>

> Incidentally, all the links to the example .xml files, from the various
> user manual pages on the James web site are broken... Someone might want
> to fix them....
>
> Thanks again in advance for any help offered... hopefully my experiences
> in setting up James will help other more knowledgeable types make
> improvements in the James documentation also...
>
> Marc..

Eric
http://about.echarles.net

Now need help setting up James MySQL database

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.
In James 2.3 I set up the MySQL database properties using the following -

<data-source name="maildb"
class="org.apache.james.util.dbcp.JdbcDataSource">
<driver>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driver>
<dburl>jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1/mail?autoReconnect=true</dburl>
<user>xxxx</user>
<password>yyyyy</password>
<max>20</max>
</data-source>

In James 3.0 Beta1 I took a guess (no documentation could I find) and
configured database.properties as follows -

database.driverClassName=org.apache.james.util.dbcp.JdbcDataSource
database.url=jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1/mail?autoReconnect=true
database.username=xxxx
database.password=yyyyy
vendorAdapter.database=MYSQL
openjpa.streaming=false

Is this correct? I noted that there is no corresponding <driver> and
<max> parameters, are these still needed?

Thanks for any help/suggestions offered...   Marc..

--
"The Truth is out there" - Spooky

Re: Now need help setting up James

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.
Eric - I understand that mailrepositorystore.xml is for defining the
various methods to store email for the James server. And no, I do not
want to store the mail in a MySQL database, but instead simply use the
file system.

On 11/2/2011 8:28 AM, Eric Charles wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> 1. Some examples may not updated. Take care...
I will not use the examples if they differ from the supplied .xml
configuration files...

> 2. mailrepositorystore.xml is not about your mailbox (see
> http://james.apache.org/server/3/feature-persistence.html, we are open
> for any new name...). Did you find mailbox.xml? You will need to
> change database.properties to setup you MySQL connection. If you want
> to store mails in MySQL, which path are you looking for?
Yes, I did find mailbox.xml. What I do NOT find is any examples or
instructions on how to configure it for using the file system mechanism
of persistence for user emails. (or any other of the mechanisms) I have
found a very superficial description of the "providers" described in
this file, but nothing that explains the details of what and how to use
them... The web page at - http://james.apache.org/mailbox/  is nearly
useless in helping me to grok these various mechanisms and a lot of the
links found there, to follow for additional information, point to
incomplete/empty web pages....

If I were to take a wild guess, I would guess that I want to use the
"maildir" mechanism, but I dunno for sure.. I can find nothing to
elucidate me on what that really is, and what I have to do to use it...
I can't even figure out what it means to define a provider, and what
that does for James... And why are the mechanisms for storing mailbox
data different than the mechanisms for configuring how to store spam,
errors etc in mailrepositorystore.xml?

> Yes, we need to fix the links to the examples...
>
> Thx,
>
> Eric
Thanks again Eric for your help. I fear I am working with an incomplete
product and am in a Catch-22 situation, if I am going to try and learn
more about how James works and how to use this version... But if you (or
anyone else) can provide me with some additional pointers to help me
understand how to configure James, I sure will appreciate it!

     Marc..