Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by maggu2810 <ma...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/03 09:40:10 UTC

documentation: add some info to custom distributions

Hello,
reading
"https://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/developers-guide/custom-distribution.html"
the scope of maven dependencies is used to decide the integration of a
feature (startup.properties, boot feature, ...).
I am missing some information what is the exact difference between
startup.properties and a boot feature.

I found the information on the mailing list:
http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/startup-vs-boot-features-td4028826.html
"startup bundles are loaded in the karaf main module during the OSGi
setup. They run before karaf is fully operational. So the main
limitation is that they must be in the system dir of karaf and can not
be loaded using full maven resolution. At this time in the boot some
other karaf functions may also still be missing. Boot features on the
other hand are normal features that are started after the startup bundles."

Could we add this information to the documentation?

Re: documentation: add some info to custom distributions

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

yes, it's part of the complete refactoring that I'm doing.

Regards
JB

On 08/03/2015 09:40 AM, maggu2810 wrote:
> Hello,
> reading
> "https://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/developers-guide/custom-distribution.html"
> the scope of maven dependencies is used to decide the integration of a
> feature (startup.properties, boot feature, ...).
> I am missing some information what is the exact difference between
> startup.properties and a boot feature.
>
> I found the information on the mailing list:
> http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/startup-vs-boot-features-td4028826.html
> "startup bundles are loaded in the karaf main module during the OSGi
> setup. They run before karaf is fully operational. So the main
> limitation is that they must be in the system dir of karaf and can not
> be loaded using full maven resolution. At this time in the boot some
> other karaf functions may also still be missing. Boot features on the
> other hand are normal features that are started after the startup bundles."
>
> Could we add this information to the documentation?

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com