Posted to user@helix.apache.org by kishore g <g....@gmail.com> on 2014/03/06 22:53:15 UTC

Re: Apache Helix

+ user

RE: Apache Helix

Posted by Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Leonard,

We are currently actively developing a way for the Helix controller to do exactly that. Essentially, working with YARN, Mesos, EC2, or another provisioner, the Helix controller will look at your service constraints for how many machines should be up, and ensure that many containers are always running for your service. We are also looking at ways to dynamically monitor CPU and memory usage to determine the number of containers to have running. We have a working implementation with YARN in the helix-provisioning branch of our source code. See http://helix.apache.org/sources.html for instructions on how to access the source code.

Historically, Helix's goal has been to take the machines that are active, and intelligently distribute your service across those machines. When a service goes down, Helix makes sure that the cluster remains in a good state. Without provisioning, Helix would simply reallocate your resources without any ability to start or stop containers. With provisioning, Helix can now tell the provisioner to bring up or take down containers in addition to reassigning.

Kanak