Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marcin Praczko <ma...@2fluid.co.uk> on 2007/11/06 17:53:13 UTC

How to filter messages from this list?

It is possible add some text to Subject: For example [SPLIST] - to make easier set up filter for emails?

Marcin Praczko.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Re: How to filter messages from this list?

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 06.11.07 16:53, Marcin Praczko wrote:
> It is possible add some text to Subject: For example [SPLIST] - to make
> easier set up filter for emails?

modifyinf Subject: sucks, and is only good for clients that can't filter on
other headers. Filter on:

Boost your system's speed by 500% - DEL C:\WINDOWS\*.*

Re: How to filter messages from this list?

Posted by Mariusz Kruk <Ma...@epsilon.eu.org>.
On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:53:13PM -0000, Marcin Praczko wrote:
> It is possible add some text to Subject: For example [SPLIST] - to make easier set up filter for emails?

What for? This list already gives quite a few headers that should be
enough for filtering.

--
d'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'Yb Odsłonięcie  twarzy czasami pokazuje więcej,
`b  Kruk@epsilon.eu.org   d' niż zdjęcie ubrania.  (Wojtek Moszko)

Re: How to filter messages from this list?

Posted by ji...@jidanni.org.
BP> Every few months this issue gets discussed to death.
Why not mention what he is surely really wanting to do:
http://www.google.com/search?q=users-allow@spamassassin.apache.org

Re: How to filter messages from this list?

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Marcin Praczko wrote:
> It is possible add some text to Subject: For example [SPLIST] - to
> make easier set up filter for emails?

Every few months this issue gets discussed to death.  See the list
archives.  The answer is always the same.  Use the headers that are
already provided in the message.  List-Id: is a good one to use for
this purpose.  If you want to add a subject tag removing and reducing
the precious few characters available there then you can always add it
yourself on your end.

Bob

Re: How to filter messages from this list?

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 08:53 AM 11/6/2007, Marcin Praczko wrote:
>It is possible add some text to Subject: For example [SPLIST] - to
>make easier set up filter for emails?

Why? There's at least 6 in the headers:

     by apache.org (qpsmtpd/0.29) with ESMTP; Tue, 06 Nov 2007 08:53:30 -0800

Re: How to filter messages from this list?

Posted by Peter Mann <Pe...@tuke.sk>.
On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:53:13PM -0000, Marcin Praczko wrote:
> It is possible add some text to Subject: For example [SPLIST] - to make easier set up filter for emails?

you can use message headers:

5o   Peter.Mann at tuke.sk

Re: How to filter messages from this list?

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
At 08:53 06-11-2007, Marcin Praczko wrote:
>It is possible add some text to Subject: For example [SPLIST] - to
>make easier set up filter for emails?

Yes, you can do that with Procmail.  Test whether the List-Id: header
matches users.spamassassin.apache.org and preappend your tag to the
Subject: header.

Regards,
-sm

Re: How to filter messages from this list?

Posted by John Rudd <jr...@ucsc.edu>.
mouss wrote:
> Marcin Praczko wrote:
>> It is possible add some text to Subject: For example [SPLIST] - to make easier set up filter for emails?
>>

> List managers (and other software) should not alter email unless
> absolutely necessary.

List sysadmins should do whatever they want with email that passes
through their list server, and users and list owners should vote with
their feet.  Similarly, list owners should do whatever they want with
messages that past through their lists, and users should vote with their
feet.

Re: How to filter messages from this list?

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
Philip Prindeville wrote:
> [snip]
> Could they have just *deleted* the Received: lines they didn't want to
> show?  "No, of course not.  That would be too easy.  Let's mangle them
> into something that doesn't conform to RFC-822 instead."
>
> As it is, they were leaking hostnames through the "Reference:" and
> "Message-Id:" fields anyway...  but we won't talk about that.

and removing these breaks "conversations", and makes messages in the
"Sent" folder different than messages that are really sent.

> They couldn't even leave the "id" and "timestamp" fields in the
> revealing...  uhh...  how many licks it takes to get to the center of
> a tootsie pop... or some such nonsense.

that would reveal that their clock is out of sync :)

Re: How to filter messages from this list?

Posted by Philip Prindeville <ph...@redfish-solutions.com>.
mouss wrote:
> Marcin Praczko wrote:
>
>> It is possible add some text to Subject: For example [SPLIST] - to make easier set up filter for emails?
>>

> How about having the logo in png format on the subject line :)
>
> List managers (and other software) should not alter email unless
> absolutely necessary. This includes subject tagging, reply-to munging,
> removal of trace headers, format conversion, ... etc. The people who
> compose messages know better how their messages should look like. Local
> policies may override this, because local users have a chance to hang
> their sysadmin ;-p

If they're lucky they can.  If they work for Uncle Sam, and their
sysadmin trots out "security requirements" as their lame excuse for
breaking things they don't understand, then they're screwed.  As in:

Subject: RE: Chuckle
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:10:39 -0700
From: "John Doe" <jo...@navy.mil>
To: "Philip Prindeville" <ph...@redfish-solutions.com>

Could they have just *deleted* the Received: lines they didn't want to show?  "No, of course not.  That would be too easy.  Let's mangle them into something that doesn't conform to RFC-822 instead."

As it is, they were leaking hostnames through the "Reference:" and "Message-Id:" fields anyway...  but we won't talk about that.

They couldn't even leave the "id" and "timestamp" fields in the Received: lines because that would be revealing... ummm... revealing...  uhh...  how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop... or some such nonsense.

Re: How to filter messages from this list?

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
Marcin Praczko wrote:
> It is possible add some text to Subject: For example [SPLIST] - to make easier set up filter for emails?

How about having the logo in png format on the subject line :)

List managers (and other software) should not alter email unless