Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Chip Calhoun <cc...@aip.org> on 2011/10/04 23:01:26 UTC

Unable to parse large XML files.

Hi everyone,

I've found that I'm unable to parse very large XML files. This doesn't seem to happen with other file formats. When I run any of the offending files through ParserChecker, I get something along the lines of:

# bin/nutch org.apache.nutch.parse.ParserChecker http://www.aip.org/history/ead/19990074.xml
---------
Url
---------------
http://www.aip.org/history/ead/19990074.xml---------
ParseData
---------
Version: 5
Title:
Outlinks: 0
Content Metadata:
Parse Metadata:

One thing which may or may not be relevant is that when I look XML files up in a browser the http:// at the beginning tends to disappear. That seems relevant because it seems like it might defeat my file.content.limit, http.content.limit, and ftp.content.limit<ftp://ftp.content.limit> properties. Is there a way around this?

Thanks,
Chip

RE: Unable to parse large XML files.

Posted by Chip Calhoun <cc...@aip.org>.
Hrm. No, it turns out I was wrong; I'd misread an error message. I've got the following in my nutch-site.xml:

<property>
  <name>file.content.limit</name>
  <value>-1</value>
  <description>The length limit for downloaded content using the file://
  protocol, in bytes. If this value is nonnegative (>=0), content longer
  than it will be truncated; otherwise, no truncation at all. Do not
  confuse this setting with the http.content.limit setting.
  </description>
</property>
<property>
  <name>http.content.limit</name>
  <value>-1</value>
  <description>The length limit for downloaded content, in bytes.
  If this value is nonnegative (>=0), content longer than it will be
  truncated; otherwise, no truncation at all.
  </description>
 </property>
<property>
  <name>ftp.content.limit</name>
  <value>-1</value>
  <description>The length limit for downloaded content, in bytes.
  If this value is nonnegative (>=0), content longer than it will be truncated;
  otherwise, no truncation at all.
  Caution: classical ftp RFCs never defines partial transfer and, in fact,
  some ftp servers out there do not handle client side forced close-down very
  well. Our implementation tries its best to handle such situations smoothly.
  </description>
</property>

Huh. It turns out my http.content.limit was fine, but I also needed a file.content.limit statement in nutch-site.xml to make this work. Thanks!

> I've found that I'm unable to parse very large XML files. This doesn't
> seem to happen with other file formats. When I run any of the
> offending files through ParserChecker, I get something along the lines of:
>
> # bin/nutch org.apache.nutch.parse.ParserChecker
> http://www.aip.org/history/ead/19990074.xml --------- Url
> ---------------
> http://www.aip.org/history/ead/19990074.xml---------
> ParseData
> ---------
> Version: 5
> to successfully parse content Title:
> Outlinks: 0
> Content Metadata:
> Parse Metadata:
>
> One thing which may or may not be relevant is that when I look XML
> files up in a browser the http:// at the beginning tends to disappear.

You're using some fancy new browser? Some seem to do that.  Check your http.content.limit.

Posted by Chip Calhoun <cc...@aip.org>.

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.