Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com> on 2006/02/24 16:54:27 UTC

Win32 Build System (was: Review & commit for svnserve Win32 service support)

"Arlie Davis" <ad...@stonestreetone.com> wrote on 02/24/2006 11:47:04 AM:

> I had to roll my own vcproj files to get anything to build, and this is
> actually a subject that I want to take up with this list -- the poor
state
> of autoconfig support on Win32.  It is inordinately difficult to build
> Subversion on Win32, and for no good reason.  I don't say this to insult
> anyone -- I'll fix it, given half a chance -- but to point out how
cruddy it
> is on Win32, and to ask if it's really *supposed* to be this cruddy.

Changing the subject so that it does not muddy up the main point of your
post and thread.

I have always found the Win32 build process to be quite easy.  The only
thing I do not like is that when it comes to customizing the process it is
not trivial.  For example, if you wanted to build without BDB support this
is easy to do on *nix, but on Windows you either have to hack the project
files, or learn how to hack gen-make.py and the system itself.

All that said, I do not see how it could be much better.

Mark

Re: Win32 Build System (was: Review & commit for svnserve Win32 service support)

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.
On 2/24/06, Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com> wrote:
[snip]

> Sure, do it the easy way :)
>
> I cannot believe I ever thought of that, since I do that for our OS/400
> port.  When I did it, I changed that parm, and then manually edited all of
> the project files to change a whole bunch of other BDB-related items.  Now
> that I think about it, it seems like the APR DLL's were linked to BDB
> unless I did this.
>
> Regardless, I wish that gen-make.py just had an option for this.
> Fortunately, I no longer have any need to do this.

As far as I am aware, APR doesn't support BDB on Win32 unless the
gen-make.py option --enable-bdb-in-apr-util is used to tweak the APR
build files.

I agree, though, an option would be much nicer.

Anyway, there definitely are a few annoying issues building trunk
Win32 right now:

*  Building zlib with the 2005 assembler requires a small patch (fixed
file at http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/svn/tortoisesvn/trunk/ext/build/inffas32.asm
thanks to the TSVN folks)

*  New versions of neon require a fix to expat.h.in in apr-util (expat
version definitions don't get expanded on Win32 -- still not resolved
AFAIK: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/apr-dev/200509.mbox/%3C4332E1A9.10507@rowe-clan.net%3E)

*  I don't believe libserf support has been attempted at all on Win32
-- I've just been ignoring the error messages until I have a chance to
play with it.

*  We still have some serious problems (compiles but croaks at
runtime) with new versions of APR but Brane said he is working on that
(I've been sticking with Apache 2.0.55 and the APR that comes with
it).

*  Support on Win32 for bindings for various languages aside from
Python seems to be spotty at best.

There could be more issues, of course, but these are all I've hit
and/or heard about.

DJ

Re: Win32 Build System (was: Review & commit for svnserve Win32 service support)

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com>.
"D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com> wrote on 02/24/2006 01:06:26 PM:

> On 2/24/06, Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > I have always found the Win32 build process to be quite easy.  The
only
> > thing I do not like is that when it comes to customizing the process
it is
> > not trivial.  For example, if you wanted to build without BDB support
this
> > is easy to do on *nix, but on Windows you either have to hack the
project
> > files, or learn how to hack gen-make.py and the system itself.
>

> I get rid of BDB support by commenting out the
> SVN_LIBSVN_FS_LINKS_FS_BASE defintion in svn_private_config.hw -- BDB
> does not get linked if that is not defined, although you still need
> the header files present.

Sure, do it the easy way :)

I cannot believe I ever thought of that, since I do that for our OS/400
port.  When I did it, I changed that parm, and then manually edited all of
the project files to change a whole bunch of other BDB-related items.  Now
that I think about it, it seems like the APR DLL's were linked to BDB
unless I did this.

Regardless, I wish that gen-make.py just had an option for this.
Fortunately, I no longer have any need to do this.

Thanks

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com>.
"Arlie Davis" <ad...@stonestreetone.com> wrote on 02/24/2006 12:29:02 PM:

> gen-make.py and its associated files may be an excellent way to maintain
the
> project, especially given the needs of keeping the project coherent on a
> variety of different platforms.  I don't have a problem with
gen-make.py.

> What I do have a problem with is the fact that getting a working build
on
> Windows is rather more difficult than it should be.  I followed the
> directions in hacking.html and INSTALL, but was still never able to get
this
> working.  I could go into the details of my experience, but that would
chew
> up a fair amount of list bandwidth, and may bore some people who have
> already gone through this.
>
> I've used and developed on a wide variety of platforms, Unix variants,
> mainframes, VMS, Win32, etc.  And the experience that I'm accustomed to
when
> dealing with OSS projects on Unix is fairly rational these days --
extract,
> ./configure (or something similar), build, and go.  But my experience
with
> Subversion on Win32 is nowhere near as seamless.

That toolchain does not exist or is not used for Windows development, so
the Python script approximates it.  I seriously doubt that you problem is
with the script (other than customizing it as I mentioned) but it is
usually with getting all of the required pieces installed correctly so
that you can use the script.  I have always found that the INSTALL
document does a good job laying this out.

TortoiseSVN has created NANT build scripts for Subversion if that
interests you at all.

Mark

RE: Win32 Build System (was: Review & commit for svnserve Win32 service support)

> I had to roll my own vcproj files to get anything to build, and this
> is actually a subject that I want to take up with this list -- the
> poor
state
> of autoconfig support on Win32.  It is inordinately difficult to build
> Subversion on Win32, and for no good reason.  I don't say this to
> insult anyone -- I'll fix it, given half a chance -- but to point out
> how
cruddy it
> is on Win32, and to ask if it's really *supposed* to be this cruddy.

Changing the subject so that it does not muddy up the main point of your
post and thread.

I have always found the Win32 build process to be quite easy.  The only
thing I do not like is that when it comes to customizing the process it is
not trivial.  For example, if you wanted to build without BDB support this
is easy to do on *nix, but on Windows you either have to hack the project
files, or learn how to hack gen-make.py and the system itself.

All that said, I do not see how it could be much better.

Mark

_
Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. and SoftLanding Europe Plc by IBM
Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.