Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Will Jessop <wi...@37signals.com> on 2012/03/22 21:06:47 UTC

JMeter GUI client sending wrong source IP.missing statistics

Hi All,

I have a problem getting statistics back from remote JMeter servers.
Here's my setup:

My machine (JMeter GUI) -> VPN -> Remote network (datacentre, JMeter
server instances)

Networks on my machine:
192.168.1.70 local network
10.10.13.30 VPN

I have a JMeter server started in the datacentre:

RMI_HOST_DEF=-Djava.rmi.server.hostname=10.10.0.95 bin/jmeter-server

It starts up fine and receives commands from the GUI. I'm setting
RMI_HOST_DEF because the hostname points to 127.0.0.1 on the host.
Seems to be an Ubuntu thing.

On my local machine starts JMeter starts listening just fine, this
from the firewall log:

Mar 21 23:31:11 octobrain Firewall[20687]: java is listening from
::ffff:0.0.0.0:63872 proto=6

I can telnet back to my machine on this port from the same server that
JMeter-server is started on so it's not a firewall issue. I can start
remote tests using my local GUI and these get executed by the remote
JMeter server instances. What I'm missing is the statistics that these
tests generate. I've tried a bunch of stuff to make this work all to
no avail.

In my jmeter-server.log I am getting a clue though. When I run a test
the server log reports the error. Here's the interesting bit:

2012/03/22 14:53:53 ERROR - jmeter.samplers.RemoteListenerWrapper:
testStarted(host) java.rmi.ConnectIOException: Exception creating
connection to: 192.168.1.70; nested exception is:

(full text: https://gist.github.com/3a2adcbc7c63bb05c2b4)

What seems to be happening is that the JMeter GUI process is reporting
back that it's listening on 192.168.1.70, which is un-routable over
the VPN, it should be reporting that it's listening on 10.10.13.30

Anyone any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Will.

--
Will Jessop
System Administrator

Re: JMeter GUI client sending wrong source IP.missing statistics

Posted by karl <ka...@sitestress.eu>.
Hi Will,

we faced the problem on windows with a multihomed pc (3 Interfaces ->
VPN, eth0, eth1).

IMHO -> in src/core/org/apache/jmeter/util/JMeterUtils.java
the java-function/method/class
  localHost = InetAddress.getLocalHost();

don't work properly with more then one interface.
You could try one of the following (IMHO)

- work with a ssh-tunnel and map all to 127.0.0.1 and different ports
take a look in jmeter.properties for the follwing flags,params:
server_port=1099,remote_hosts=server:1234,server.rmi.port=1234,server.rmi.localport=4000,client.rmi.localport=0

- patch src/core/org/apache/jmeter/util/JMeterUtils.java
  localHost = InetAddress.getLocalHost(); to
  localHost = InetAddress.getByName("multihomed__ip");

- try to work with hostnames instead ip and resolve all ip's on all
machines (etc/hosts) (must be accurate, also revers)

Regards
karl

--
*Karl Hoffmann*
QA L&P

Re: JMeter GUI client sending wrong source IP.missing statistics

Posted by Will Jessop <wi...@37signals.com>.
On 23 March 2012 23:22, Shmuel Krakower <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Didnt try this but if the gui is running on windows machine try setting the
> relevant ip as the main network connections on windows level...
> בתאריך 2012 3 22 22:07, מאת "Will Jessop" <wi...@37signals.com>:

Hi Shmuel,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using OS X, but I think I get what you
meant. I bumped the VPN network to be the primary network in the
networks list (I ended up with all my traffic going over the VPN and
coming out trans-atlantic in Chicago) and I still had the problem.

Will.

Posted by Shmuel Krakower <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi