Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Anish Mashankar <an...@systeminsights.com> on 2016/09/16 05:10:16 UTC

Old replica data does not clear following the retention.ms property

I recently ran partition assignment on some topics. This made the replicas
of some partitions move around the cluster. It was seamless. However, when
it came to purging old logs following the retention.ms property of the
topic, the replica partitions were not clear. The leader partition,
however, was purged correctly.
As our consumers have caught up, a quick fix was to reduce retention period
to 1 day, let Kafka purge those replicas and reset the retention policy.

This looks like a bug. We had almost run out of disk space on few of our
brokers due to this.
--
Anish Samir Mashankar