Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Eric Mosley <er...@globogift.com> on 2001/04/19 11:59:22 UTC

Tomcat vs JServ

Hi,

I'm trying to evaluate whether to use Tomcat or JServ. The system will be
freeBSD and I know that Tomcat has some "issues" with that - but I'm willing
to take the chance.

However, if speed and memory are issues which would be best for basic
servlet functionality?

Surely it would be JServ as it has been in bug fixing mode for so long it
will have matured and is quite fast anyway?

Any insights appreciated,

Eric

Re: Tomcat vs JServ

Posted by Sam Newman <sa...@stamplets.com>.
I'm not sure which "issues" you mean....
I think that fact that JServ has been in bug fixing for a while now is more down to the fact that no more development is being done with it. Tomcat supports the latest standards and works fine with Apache via mod_jk. And its being actively developed. I for one would be eager to see more empahasis being placed on using mod_jk and apache rather than JServ.

sam

Re: Tomcat vs JServ

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Simone Pensa wrote:

> Hi,
> the main difference is that Tomcat implements Servlet version 2.2
> and higher, while JServ refers to Servlet specification version 2.0.
[ ... ]

And that's a *big* difference.  Further, there is no more active
development on JServ, while there is with Tomcat (it is the servlet
reference implementation, after all).  So Tomcat will keep up with new
versions of the spec (2.3 is almost ready to go, and Tomcat 4.0 is
tracking it; Tomcat 3.X implements the 2.2 spec), while JServ is stuck
on 2.0.

>From those considerations alone it seems to me that Tomcat should be
the way to go.  Especially for anyone starting out with servlets.  The
2.2 spec introduced some relatively significant changes from earlier
versions of the spec.

> > Eric Mosley wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to evaluate whether to use Tomcat or JServ. The system
> > will be freeBSD and I know that Tomcat has some "issues" with that
> > - but I'm willing to take the chance.
> >
> > However, if speed and memory are issues which would be best for
> > basic servlet functionality?
> >
> > Surely it would be JServ as it has been in bug fixing mode for so
> > long it will have matured and is quite fast anyway?
> >
> > Any insights appreciated,

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
mepstein@uiuc.edu

Re: Tomcat vs JServ

Posted by Simone Pensa <si...@icn.siemens.it>.
Hi,
 the main difference is that Tomcat implements Servlet version 2.2 and higher,
 while JServ refers to Servlet specification version 2.0.

 I don't know issues related to perfomance and memory.

 Simone

--
Simone Pensa
Siemens Information and Communication Networks SpA

Palazzo Laboratori CL3C
20010 Settimo Milanese
Milano, Italy

phone : +39 02 2733 7810
fax   : +39 02 2733 7989
mailto: simone.pensa@icn.siemens.it

Re: Tomcat vs JServ

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.
I disagree. Using that code closes the
door to a number of options that would be
available to you using Tomcat, and absolutely
closes the door on anything in the future.
As for being more stable, I would also disagree
with you but I don't have any specific cases
to prove it. In any case, I do feel that using
it would be a mistake. And labeling yourself as
a maintainer of a particular line of source is
another can of worms.

Re: Tomcat vs JServ

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Joe Laffey wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Tim O'Neil wrote:
>
> > JServ is dead code. Don't use it. Tomcat is that same code's
> > successor.
>
> I hardly think that code being dead should put it into a "Don't use
> it" category. JServ is stable as hell and that means a lot. Sure, it
> only support JSDK 2.0, but you can do a lot with that. Most of my
> clients still use Jdk 1.1.x, and these are Fortune 500 companies!
[ ... ]

OK, I think we've beaten this horse enough :-).

Sure, if you've got something up and running with JServ, and it's
working fine, and you're not planning any major work on it, there's no
reason to upgrade (and I don't think anyone was saying otherwise,
certainly not me :-).

But if you're just getting started with Servlets/JSP, and you're
trying to decide between JServ and Tomcat, I'd say the choice is
clear, and you go with the up-to-date, active technology of Tomcat.
I'd even say that if you have something currently running with JServ,
if you plan to do more than the tiniest amount of work on it, then
you'd be better off switching over to Tomcat.  Things that are
multiple versions of the spec behind, and are using
technology/implementations that are not being actively worked on, can
be a problem to maintain.  And maintenance is often more important
than performance.  (And even if Tomcat lags behind JServ in
performance currently, that will change.)

Re: Tomcat vs JServ

Posted by Joe Laffey <jo...@laffeycomputer.com>.

Re: Tomcat vs JServ

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.

Re: Tomcat vs JServ

Posted by Sam Newman <sa...@stamplets.com>.
I guess it comes down to if it aint broke, don't fix it. If your happy with
the old 2.0 spec, and the fact your unlikely to get much support if things
do go wrong, I guess there isn't much reason to change.
At the end of the day, tomcat is more uptodate than JServ, and using mod_jk
is easier to integrate with Apache.

sam
Posted by Ivan <iv...@abac.com>.
You can create context parameters in the web.xml file as such:

<context-param>
    <param-name>LOGIN_NAME</param-name>
    <param-value>sa</param-value>
</context-param>

and then access them in code like this:

ServletContext ctx = getServletContext();
String loginname = ctx.GetInitParameter(LOGIN_NAME);

Hope this helps

Ivan

Properties + jdbc

RE: Tomcat vs JServ

Posted by Eric Mosley <er...@globogift.com>.

RE: Tomcat vs JServ

Posted by Joe Laffey <jo...@laffeycomputer.com>.

RE: Tomcat vs JServ

Posted by Benoît Jacquemont <be...@smile.fr>.
You shouldn't use JServ anymore. Tomcat comes in replacement of JServ. And
actually, JServ is kind of dead because, as Milt Epstein said, there won't
be any other development on JServ. So no more enhancement will be made to
the engine.

There is no point to compare Tomcat and JServ. Tomcat and JServ are not
competitors, Tomcat is just the replacement for JServ. If you want to use
the servlet/JSP engine from the Apache Project, use Tomcat.

Benoît