Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Anthony Mattas <an...@mattas.net> on 2014/03/05 03:31:42 UTC

Benchmarking Hive Changes

I’ve been trying to benchmark some of the Hive enhancements in Hadoop 2.0 using the HDP Sandbox.

I took one of their example queries and executed it with the tables stored as TEXTFILE, RCFILE, and ORC. I also tried enabling enabling vectorized execution, and predicate pushdown.

SELECT s07.description, s07.salary, s08.salary,
  s08.salary - s07.salary
FROM
  sample_07 s07 JOIN sample_08 s08
ON ( s07.code = s08.code)
WHERE
 s07.salary < s08.salary
SORT BY s08.salary-s07.salary DESC

Ultimately there was not much different performance in any of the executions, can someone clarify for me if I need an actual full cluster to see performance improvements, or if I’m missing something else. I thought at minimum I would have seen an improvement moving to ORC from TEXTFILE.

Re: Benchmarking Hive Changes

Posted by Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>.
The last iteration of stinger is coming with Tez.

The HDP 2 sandbox that you're using is not including Tez. You can add it
manually if you would like (doc is available on Hortonworks.com/labs) or
it'll be available of the HDP 2.1 sandbox.

Kind regards
Olivier

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE