Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by John Roberts <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2009/12/25 19:25:13 UTC

Hbase on 64-bit Windows 7: "hostname not provided"

Has anyone successfully run hbase on 64-bit Windows 7?  I was able to get hbase working on Windows XP following these instructions:

http://highestpoint.biz/2009/10/installing-hbase-on-windows/

I followed the exact same instructions for a PC running 64-bit Windows 7 but when I run start-hbase.sh I get this error:

": hostname nor servname provided, or not known"

On my Windows XP PC I get prompted twice for the password but on my Windows 7 PC I only get prompted once and after that I get errors trying to run commands in hbase shell.

Does anyone know why I get the error about hostname not provided?

Thanks.

John

Re: Hbase on 64-bit Windows 7: "hostname not provided"

Posted by John Roberts <jo...@yahoo.com>.
> How can we make life easier for you cygwin users? Why is there no> localhost for you?

I wish I knew - it worked for me on Windows XP. I tried following Dave's suggestion and disabled ipv6 on my lan network and also added the following registry value (DWORD type) set to 0xff to completeley disable ipv6:

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\Services\ Tcpip6\Parameters\ DisabledComponents

I rebooted my machine but still got the error when I tried to start up hbase.  In my hbase-default.xml file my hbase.zookeeper.quorum parameter is set to 127.0.0.1.  This config worked for me on my Windows XP machine.  I noticed my conf/regionserver file has the value "localhost" so perhaps that is where zookeeper is getting the value localhost but as per Dave's email is adding a newline to it.  I tried adding an entry for "localhost\n" in my ~/.ssh/known_hosts file but that did not work either.

I'm open to suggestions at this point.

- John

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Latham <la...@davelink.net>.