Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk> on 2003/01/31 16:04:05 UTC

std::istream as XSLTInputSource

I see that std::istream is an acceptable input to an XSLTInputSource
constructor. Would I be correct in asuuming this should represent a
byte stream of characters encoded as UTF-8?
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire

Re: std::istream as XSLTInputSource

Posted by David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM <da...@us.ibm.com>.

Hi Colin,

You have to do what the XML recommendation says:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#charencoding
   http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-guessing

So the answer is yes.

Dave

                      Colin Paul Adams
                      <colin@colina.de         To:      xalan-c-users@xml.apache.org
                      mon.co.uk>               cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)
                                               Subject: Re: std::istream as XSLTInputSource
                      01/31/2003 11:18
                      AM

writes:

    David> There is no assumption made about the encoding.  It can be
    David> any stream of bytes that represents a well-formed XML
    David> document.  The parser will do what is required to determine
    David> the encoding, as it would with a stream from a file.

So does that mean I can pass a stream of UTF-16 bytes to it?
If so, do I have to start the stream with a BOM, for the parser to
recognise it as UTF-16?

Posted by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk>.