Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Keith Wiley <kw...@keithwiley.com> on 2014/06/10 22:54:58 UTC

Can't drop table

I tried to create a table that would use a csv serde.  There were various problems with it, primarily in that I couldn't figure out how to specify the path to the serde (whether I indicate the serde location either locally or on HDFS) there were subsequent errors about not finding the serde, even though the paths were correct).

So I decided to drop the table since it wasn't working...but the serde error that is causing these problems to begin with prevents me from dropping the table due to a serde-doesn't-exist error.  Yeah, duh, that's the problem in the first place.

This is an acknowledged problem, as indicated here:
...but I don't understand from that page how to get around the problem.  There is a lengthy discussion, but it's unclear how to actually drop the darn table.  In fact, that page suggests the problem is officially classified as "won't be fixed".

Note, this problem also prevents me from renaming the table via "alter".

I don't know what to do at this point.  Any ideas?

"The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches
me to suspect that my own is also."
                                           --  Mark Twain

Re: Can't drop table

Posted by Keith Wiley <kw...@keithwiley.com>.
On Jun 11, 2014, at 13:15 , Edward Capriolo wrote:

> "There is a lengthy discussion, but it's unclear how to actually drop the darn table.  In fact, that page"
>
> Dumb work around:
>
> You could go directly to mysql and delete the table...
>
> Or make a serde with that name just so you will not get the class not found error :)

Okay, thanks.  Still a pretty weird bug all in all, considering that the conclusion of that bug report was to not fix the bug.

                                           --  Yoda

Re: Can't drop table

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Re: Can't drop table

Posted by Keith Wiley <kw...@keithwiley.com>.

Re: Can't drop table

Posted by Keith Wiley <kw...@keithwiley.com>.
Yeah, that doesn't work.  Hive gives clear failure-to-find serdes when running queries against such a table.  The serde unquestionably resides at the local file system path I specified to "add jar".  It just doesnt' work.

On Jun 10, 2014, at 23:33 , Nitin Pawar wrote:

> if you have added a table with a serde definition
>
> then just keep the jar in local filesystem and then in hive console do
> add jar <full path to jar>;
>
> this should make your serde available to table and you should be able to drop the table then.
>
> I just tried above steps and it works for my json based tables.
>

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 2:24 AM, Keith Wiley <kw...@keithwiley.com> wrote:
> I tried to create a table that would use a csv serde.  There were various problems with it, primarily in that I couldn't figure out how to specify the path to the serde (whether I indicate the serde location either locally or on HDFS) there were subsequent errors about not finding the serde, even though the paths were correct).
>
> So I decided to drop the table since it wasn't working...but the serde error that is causing these problems to begin with prevents me from dropping the table due to a serde-doesn't-exist error.  Yeah, duh, that's the problem in the first place.
>
> This is an acknowledged problem, as indicated here:
> ...but I don't understand from that page how to get around the problem.  There is a lengthy discussion, but it's unclear how to actually drop the darn table.  In fact, that page suggests the problem is officially classified as "won't be fixed".
>
> Note, this problem also prevents me from renaming the table via "alter".
>
> I don't know what to do at this point.  Any ideas?

> Keith Wiley     kwiley@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com
>
> "The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches
> me to suspect that my own is also."
>                                            --  Mark Twain

> Nitin Pawar

"What I primarily learned in grad school is how much I *don't* know.
Consequently, I left grad school with a higher ignorance to knowledge ratio than
when I entered."
                                           --  Keith Wiley

Re: Can't drop table

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
if you have added a table with a serde definition

then just keep the jar in local filesystem and then in hive console do
add jar <full path to jar>;

this should make your serde available to table and you should be able to
drop the table then.

I just tried above steps and it works for my json based tables.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 2:24 AM, Keith Wiley <kw...@keithwiley.com> wrote:

> I tried to create a table that would use a csv serde.  There were various
> problems with it, primarily in that I couldn't figure out how to specify
> the path to the serde (whether I indicate the serde location either locally
> or on HDFS) there were subsequent errors about not finding the serde, even
> though the paths were correct).
>
> So I decided to drop the table since it wasn't working...but the serde
> error that is causing these problems to begin with prevents me from
> dropping the table due to a serde-doesn't-exist error.  Yeah, duh, that's
> the problem in the first place.
>
> This is an acknowledged problem, as indicated here:
> ...but I don't understand from that page how to get around the problem.
>  There is a lengthy discussion, but it's unclear how to actually drop the
> darn table.  In fact, that page suggests the problem is officially
> classified as "won't be fixed".
>
> Note, this problem also prevents me from renaming the table via "alter".
>
> I don't know what to do at this point.  Any ideas?

> Keith Wiley     kwiley@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com
> music.keithwiley.com
>
> "The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly
> teaches
> me to suspect that my own is also."
>                                            --  Mark Twain

Nitin Pawar