Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Eya Badal Abdisho <ey...@bitnine.net> on 2020/01/29 01:34:18 UTC

Looking for Champion and Mentors

Hello all,

I am Eya, a software engineer working with the AgensGraph Extension team (Multimodel Database)

We propose to contribute AgensGraph Extension as an Apache Incubator project, and
we are still looking for possible Champion and Mentors. If anyone would like to volunteer, we would greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Eya

===================
The draft of the proposal can be found on wiki: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/AgensGraphExtension
===================

You may also find following the draft(work in progress) version of the proposal as well

*****This proposal is the first draft and is a work in progress*****

Abstract
AgensGraph Extension will be a multi-model database that enables graph and relational models built on PostgreSQL.

Proposal
We propose the AgensGraph Extension to the Apache foundation. AgensGraph Extension is to provide an extension for PostgreSQL to give the users the ability to leverage graph database on top of the existing relational database with minimal effort. The basic principle of the project is to create single storage that can handle both relational and graph model data so that the users can use the standard ANSI SQL along with openCypher (http://www.opencypher.org), the Graph query language.

Background
To provide some background, the AgensGraph extension project is being actively developed. This project is a new generation of a multi-model graph database for the modern complex data environment. A graph database can solve problems from very different angles, thanks to its different approach to data and its organization. By preparing data in graph models the users can apply graph algorithms that provide forte in handling complexity. Moreover, Graph data is a suitable form to apply machine learning.

Prior to AgensGraph extension, there is an existing forked project which is publicly available on the following link: https://github.com/bitnine-oss/agensgraph

While working on the fork version of this project, we found out that there are increasing voices asking for an extension of AgensGraph. It was then when we decided to develop and work on the extension version to provide more benefits to PostgreSQL users such as easy installation and compatibility.

AgensGraph Extension is a multi-model database designed to be simple and user-friendly, which supports the relational and graph data model at the same time that enables users to integrate the legacy relational data model and the flexible graph data model in one database. AgensGraph Extension supports ANSI-SQL and openCypher (http://www.opencypher.org). SQL queries and Cypher queries can be integrated into a single query in AgensGraph Extension.

Currently, we have active users and contributors that forked and used this project to build other projects. Some examples could be found in the following links: https://www.nuget.org/packages/FSharp.Data.AgensGraph/

Rationale
AgensGraph mainly offers a multimodel database, eliminating the migration efforts while having relational and graph models.

There is a strong need for a cohesive, easy to migrate multimodel for a relational and graph database. AgensGraph Extension is an extension of PostgreSQL which supports all the functionalities and features of the PostgreSQL and offers a graph model in addition. Users with a relational background and data model who are in need of having a graph model on top of their existing relational model can use this extension with minimal effort because they can use existing data without migration to enable graph database.

Since AgensGraph Extension is based on the powerful PostgreSQL RDBMS, it is very robust, fully-featured and ready to use. AgensGraph Extension is optimized for handling complex connected graph data and provides plenty of powerful database features essential to the database environment including ACID transactions, multi-version concurrency control, stored procedure, triggers, constraints, sophisticated monitoring and a flexible data model (JSON). Moreover, AgensGraph Extension leverages the rich eco-systems of PostgreSQL and can be extended with many outstanding external modules, like PostGIS.

Initial Goals
A complete implementation of openCypher language specification in a PostgreSQL extension:

Implementation of openCypher parser
Implementation of internal AgensGraph Data Types
Implementation of expression logic
Implementation of Cypher language Clauses (Return, Create, Delete, Update, Match)
Implementation of variable length expressions (VLE)
Implementation of graph-related functions (such as aggregation)

Current Status

Meritocracy:
Our current practices align with the meritocracy principles of Apache. AgensGraph Extension was originally created by Junseok Yang in June 2019. Committers have the freedom to work on a task independently and consult any other member of the team when necessary. Once committers have finished, a git patch is submitted to review and when the group approves the patch, it is committed to the master branch.

Community:
AgensGraph has been building a community since 2017. Our hope is to transition to the community that we have there to the AgensGraph Extension.

Core Developers:
Junseok Yang (jsyang@bitnine.net ), John Gemignani (john.gemignani@bitnine.net ) , Josh Innis (josh.innis@bitnine.net )

Alignment:
AgensGraph Extension is compatible with many other projects such as MADlib since it's built on PostgreSQL.

Known Risks

Orphaned Products
The core developers of the AgensGraph Extension team plan to work full time on this project. There is no risk of orphaned or abandoned code. Furthermore, since the AgensGraph(fork) project was open-sourced at the beginning, it has received stars and been forked nearly 90 times. We plan to extend and diversify this community further through Apache.

Inexperience with Open Source:
The core developers are all active users and followers of open source. They are already committers and contributors to the AgensGraph Github project. All have been involved with the source code that has been released under an open-source license, and several of them also have experience developing code in an open-source environment. Though the core set of developers does not have Apache Open Source experience, there are plans to onboard individuals with Apache open source experience on to the project.

Homogenous Developers:
The current list of committers includes developers from several different countries. The core committers are geographically distributed across the U.S., Europe, and Asia. They are experienced with working in a distributed environment.

Reliance on Salaried Developers:
Bitnine invested in AgensGraph Extension and some of its key engineers are working full time on the project. In addition, since there is a growing graph database need, we look forward to other Apache developers and researchers to contribute to this project.

Relationships with Other Apache Products:
openCypher : Apache License 2.0
It is built on PG implementing openCypher which complies Apache license 2.0

An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand:
AgensGraph Extension is proposing to enter incubation at Apache in order to help efforts to diversify the committer-base and to give back to the community. The goal of this proposal is not to capitalize on the Apache brand but to give back more specifically to the Apache community.

We already appeared in many reviews including in the IDC report as a top 4 multimodel DBS and we are getting well known so there is no need for more market recognition.

Documentation
Currently, the main documentation of the project is contained in the README.md in the source repository. More information on AgensGraph Extension can be found at https://sway.office.com/8zMnvFUaDihVADUu?ref=Link

Initial Source
AgensGraph Extension has been under development since 2019 by a team of engineers at Bitnine Inc. It is currently hosted on Github.com under an Apache license.

Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan

External Dependencies
AgensGraph Extension has the following external dependencies:
PostgreSQL (PostgreSQL License)
PostgreSQL is released under the PostgreSQL License, a liberal Open Source license, similar to the BSD or MIT licenses. (https://www.postgresql.org/about/licence/)
openCypher (Apache license 2.0)
The openCypher project is licensed under the Apache License 2.0. (https://github.com/opencypher/openCypher)

Cryptography:
The project currently does not handle cryptography.

Required Resources

Mailing lists
agex-dev@incubator.apache.org
agex-commits@incubator.apache.org
agex-private@incubator.apache.org
agex-user@incubator.apache.org
Git Repositories:
The Git repository is not public yet, but we can provide the private repository upon request for your review.

Issue Tracking:
JIRA Open-JPA (OPEN-JPA)

Other Resources:
Confluence

Initial Committers
Junseok Yang (jsyang@bitnine.net ), Josh Innis (josh.innis@bitnine.net ) , John Gemignani (john.gemignani@bitnine.net ) , Hyunwoo Ha (hwha@bitnine.net)

Sponsors
We kindly request the Apache Incubator PMC to be the sponsor for this project.

Champion:
ToDo

Nominated Mentors:
ToDo

Sponsoring Entity:
We are requesting the Incubator to sponsor this project.

Thank you very much,
Eya

Re: Looking for Champion and Mentors

Posted by Eya Badal Abdisho <ey...@bitnine.net>.

On 2020/01/31 13:52:17, "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 12:48 AM Eya Badal Abdisho <ey...@bitnine.net>
> wrote:
>

> > On 2020/01/29 23:45:40, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > can provide you with.
> > >
> > > The Incubator prefers projects that already have a community around
> > them.  A little more information about that community around your project
> > would help, so far it seems (but I could be mistaken) it’s more of an
> > internal company project that wants to become an open source one and grow a
> > community around it.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Justin
> > >
> > >Thank you, Justin, for your feedback.
> >
> > >AgensGraph Extension project started as an internal project due to our
> > community requests and needs in regard to having an extension instead of
> > the fork edition of PostgreSQL. From the beginning, the plan was to make
> > the extension an open-source project after a beta version was released. We
> > hope that the old existing users will join this community as committers as
> > well since the initial goal of this project was based on the user's desire
> > to eliminate the need to perform data migrations or replication. (The ease
> > of adoption for the extension is incomparable to that of for edition that
> > will create an even bigger community than the current edition.)
> >
> > For your reference please find the requests and comments in links below
> > from our community where they asked for an extension version of AgensGraph:
> >
> > https://github.com/bitnine-oss/agensgraph/issues/268
> >

> I think another way to look at what Justin's saying is that we don't want
> to bring on a project that only has one developer on it.  It's very hard
> for that project to grow.  It's pretty common for corporate sponsored
> projects to move to Apache; the project can grow outside of any one
> corporate structure.
>

> > >We are actively engaged in the PostgreSQL community by co-sponsoring
> > PostgreSQL events. Through this project, we expect that lots of people from
> > that community will join and participate as developers and users.
> >

> > Please let me know if you need any additional information and we will be
> > more than happy to provide that.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Eya

> Dear everyone,

I just want to mention that the AgensGraph Extension project repository is public now for your consideration: https://github.com/bitnine-oss/agensgraph-ext

It is also updated on our proposal: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/AgensGraphExtension

Best,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eya Badal Abdisho <ey...@bitnine.net>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Eya Badal Abdisho <ey...@bitnine.net>.

On 2020/01/29 03:31:45, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the proposal, and it sounds like an interesting project.
>
> > Orphaned Products
> > The core developers of the AgensGraph Extension team plan to work full time on this project. There is no risk of orphaned or abandoned code.
>
> Given they are all from some company there could be a high risk of the project being orphaned, can you provide some more information.
>
> > Homogenous Developers:
> > The current list of committers includes developers from several different countries. The core committers are geographically distributed across the U.S., Europe, and Asia. They are experienced with working in a distributed environment.
>
> But they all work for one company?
>
> > Mailing lists
> > agex-dev@incubator.apache.org
> > agex-commits@incubator.apache.org
> > agex-private@incubator.apache.org
> > agex-user@incubator.apache.org
>
> One minor thing, it's best not to have a user list at the start and only add one once you need it.
>
> > Git Repositories:
> > The Git repository is not public yet, but we can provide the private repository upon request for your review.
>
> This is slightly confusing how is an open source project able to function with a private repo?
>
> > Initial Committers
> > Junseok Yang (jsyang@bitnine.net ), Josh Innis (josh.innis@bitnine.net ) , John Gemignani (john.gemignani@bitnine.net ) , Hyunwoo Ha (hwha@bitnine.net)
>
> You mentioned other contributors above, is there any reason they are not on the initial committer list. Four people is a small number for a functioning project management committee, while 3 is the minimum, we would like to see more initial committers. It would also be good if they were not all from the same company.
>
> Please make sure you use the most recent template when making the proposal, There's a couple of missing items. [1]
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> 1. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/New+Podling+Proposal
>
> Hello Justin,

Thank you so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,