Posted to users@maven.apache.org by jfinkels <je...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/19 23:16:08 UTC

No such provider: 'git'

I am unable to generate a changelog report using a git provider.

I have set up my POM with the following sections:
  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-scm-plugin</artifactId>
        <configuration>
          <connectionType>connection</connectionType>
        </configuration>
        <dependencies>
          <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.maven.scm</groupId>
            <artifactId>maven-scm-provider-gitexe</artifactId>
            <version>1.2</version>
          </dependency>
        </dependencies>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

  <reporting>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-changelog-plugin</artifactId>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </reporting>

  <scm>
    <connection>scm:git:git://github.com/jfinkels/jmona.git</connection>
    <url>http://github.com/jfinkels/jmona</url>
  </scm>

But I get the following error when trying to generate a report with "mvn
site":

  "Embedded error: Error rendering Maven report: Cannot run changelog
command :
   No such provider: 'git'."

There is a thread from June 2008 related to this topic here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/scm-users@maven.apache.org/msg00055.html

How can I get a changelog report using git?

Re: AW: No such provider: 'git'

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
hi!

You catched a very old finesse of reporting plugin configuration (in fact, lots of Jira issues have been opened for that very topic).

Please read
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-checkstyle-plugin/examples/multi-module-config.html
for an example how it should work.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by jfinkels <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: AW: No such provider: 'git'

Posted by jfinkels <je...@gmail.com>.

Wayne Fay wrote:

> Perhaps try adding it as an extension (google for info here)?

Same error with an "<extensions>" element in the POM, like this:

  <build>
    <extensions>
      <extension>
        <groupId>org.apache.maven.scm</groupId>
        <artifactId>maven-scm-provider-gitexe</artifactId>
        <version>1.2</version>
      </extension>
    </extensions>
  </build>

Re: AW: No such provider: 'git'

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> I did try that, but that is illegal syntax, based on the POM 4.0.0 XML
> schema definition (at http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd), the
> relevant parts of which I have paraphrased below:

Perhaps try adding it as an extension (google for info here)? I have
zero experience with what you're trying to do, so just throwing out
guesses.

Wayne

Re: AW: No such provider: 'git'

Posted by jfinkels <je...@gmail.com>.

Wayne Fay wrote:

> No, you were so close before, did you read what I wrote?
>
> Try this:
>  <reporting>
>    <plugins>
>      <plugin>
>        <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>        <artifactId>maven-changelog-plugin</artifactId>
> <!-- best practice is to add the version for your plugin here -->
>          <dependencies>
>            <dependency>
>              <groupId>org.apache.maven.scm</groupId>
>              <artifactId>maven-scm-provider-gitexe</artifactId>
>              <version>1.2</version>
>            </dependency>
>          </dependencies>
>      </plugin>
>    </plugins>
>  </reporting>

I did try that, but that is illegal syntax, based on the POM 4.0.0 XML
schema definition (at http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd), the
relevant parts of which I have paraphrased below:

<xs:complexType name="ReportPlugin">
<xs:all>
<xs:element name="groupId" minOccurs="0" type="xs:string"
default="org.apache.maven.plugins">
<xs:element name="artifactId" minOccurs="0" type="xs:string">
<xs:element name="version" minOccurs="0" type="xs:string">
<xs:element name="inherited" minOccurs="0" type="xs:string">
<xs:element name="configuration" minOccurs="0">
<xs:element name="reportSets" minOccurs="0">
</xs:all>
</xs:complexType>

Running Maven with the POM as you have described it in your above post
results in a parse error.

By the way, my output from "mvn --version" is as follows:
<snip>
Apache Maven 2.2.1 (rdebian-1)
Java version: 1.6.0_0
Java home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre
OS name: "linux" version: "2.6.31-16-generic" arch: "i386" Family: "unix"
</snip>

Re: AW: No such provider: 'git'

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: AW: No such provider: 'git'

Posted by jfinkels <je...@gmail.com>.

Wayne Fay wrote:

> DepMgmt does not affect reporting plugins in M2. You need to add the
> dep directly to the plugin in the reporting section.

I've added the plugin directly to the reporting section, like this:

  <reporting>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <groupId>org.apache.maven.scm</groupId>
        <artifactId>maven-scm-provider-gitexe</artifactId>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </reporting>

but now I get an error when running "mvn site":

<snip>
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin descriptor for the plugin Plugin
[org.apache.maven.scm:maven-scm-provider-gitexe] was not found. Please
verify that the plugin JAR
/home/jeff/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/scm/maven-scm-provider-gitexe/1.2/maven-scm-provider-gitexe-1.2.jar
is intact.
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
java.lang.IllegalStateException: The plugin descriptor for the plugin Plugin

Re: AW: No such provider: 'git'

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: AW: No such provider: 'git'

Posted by jfinkels <je...@gmail.com>.

struberg wrote:

> Hi!
>
> You need to add the dependency of the gitexe provider to the
> maven-changelog-plugin and not to the build.
>
> Maven is basically a container like you know from a ServletEngine: it
> separates classloaders of different plugins from each other - and the
> <build> for compile and test are 2 others of that kind.
>
> Which means: if you add a dependency (of <scope>compile) to your <build>
> section, this will not be available on the classpath of your plugin.
> Instead, as mentioned above, you have to add the dependency to the plugin
> itself (you might need a <pluginManagement> section in your case).

I'm not really sure that I understood what you were trying to say, but I've
changed my POM and I still get the same error:
  <build>
    <pluginManagement>
      <plugins>
        <plugin
          <artifactId>maven-changelog-plugin</artifactId>

          <dependencies>
            <dependency>
              <groupId>org.apache.maven.scm</groupId>
              <artifactId>maven-scm-provider-gitexe</artifactId>
              <version>1.2</version>
            </dependency>
          </dependencies>
        </plugin>