Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Chris Hill <ch...@wolfram.com> on 2002/01/05 01:28:43 UTC

Defaulted NS attributes w/validation in 1.4

In Xerces C++ version 1.4 there is a comment in startScanTagNS:

     //  <TBD>
     //  <NOTE> There is an issue here in that (when Schema comes along) if
     //  there were defauled/fixed xmlns attributes defined for this element,
     //  it is too late for them to affect the prefix of this element (though
     //  technically they should.) There is no way out of this unfortunately.

This was fixed in XMLScanner.cpp revision 1.34.  I have run into this
problem with DTD validation and defaulted namespace attributes.

I'd like to know if I could do a similar patch on version 1.4.  I know that
there has been an overhaul/generalization of the validation system to
support schema since 1.4 so perhaps a patch isn't possible (as the comment
seems to suggest).  This is a fairly serious issue, but I'm extremely
reluctant to move to 1.6 at this point (both because of the uncertainty and
the fact that I have already revised our local copy of 1.4 with unrelated
changes).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris