Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Yubiao Feng <yu...@streamnative.io.INVALID> on 2023/09/04 08:46:43 UTC

[DISCUSS] PIP-299: A limitation for the max size of cursor metadata to persist

Hi all

I proposed this PIP https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/21118, to provide
a way to limit the max size of cursor metadata to persist.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks
Yubiao Feng

Re: [DISCUSS] PIP-299: A limitation for the max size of cursor metadata to persist

Posted by PengHui Li <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi Yubiao,

Thank you for spearheading the proposal.

I believe it would bring about a substantial enhancement in user
experience.
Additionally, we should contemplate adopting the new approach as the
default
behavior of Pulsar. The existing configuration has the potential to result
in
extensive redeliveries of acknowledged messages, which is typically deemed
unacceptable by users and can lead to irreparable financial repercussions.

With the implementation of the new approach, users will have the
opportunity
to rectify situations involving excessive unacknowledged messages.
At the very least, they will have the option to fine-tune the
configuration.

I have left a comment about the configuration name. Please check.

Thanks,
Penghui