Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Sebastien Brunot <sb...@ilog.fr> on 2006/11/07 17:13:16 UTC

Transitive dependecies

Hi all,

transitive dependencies can be a real pain when you have a lot of
external dependencies in your project. Using <exclusions> tags is a
tedious operation in this case, so I was wondering if a quicker way
exists...

How can one create a pom module that contains a list of dependencies
(let's name it "lib pom"), so that when the lib pom is added as a
dependecy in let's say a war project, the exact list of dependencies
from lib pom (no more, no less => no transitivity) are added to the war
WEB-INF/lib ?

Thanks for your help,

Sebastien

Re: Transitive dependecies

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/7/06, Sebastien Brunot <sb...@ilog.fr> wrote:

> Even if the POM are correct, transitivity can copy much more classes
> than really needed : you're using library A, which a subset of class
> uses library B. If you don't use this particular subset of classes in
> library A, you don't need the dependency on library B (I hope it's
> clear).

In this case, A should probably mark its dependencies on B as
'optional' to avoid the exact situation you find yourself in.  If
you're having this problem, chances are that other people are, too.
If you let us know what dependency is causing it, we can take a look
and try to get it fixed.

Sometimes the project in question is not using Maven itself, so the
developers don't realize what happens when they leave all of their
dependencies in the default (compile) scope.

--
Wendy

RE: Transitive dependecies

Posted by Sebastien Brunot <sb...@ilog.fr>.
Yes. I would like to have something like <excludes>

Sebastien

Yes, I agree with that... and that's a good reason for using <excludes>.
But you don't really disable transitivity completely with it.  You just
select from the list of dependencies to not use, in your example,
library B.

Re: Transitive dependecies

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com>.

RE: Transitive dependecies

Re: Transitive dependecies

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com>.

RE: Transitive dependecies

Posted by Sebastien Brunot <sb...@ilog.fr>.
In fact, the dependencies I don't want in the lib directory are the one
obtained because of the transitivity mechanism. So I want all
dependencies included, but not the one they might have themselves (and I
may not have access to the POM of those dependencies to set their scope
to provided).

Sebastien

Posted by Martin Vysny <mv...@whitestein.com>.

RE: Transitive dependecies

Re: Transitive dependecies

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

RE: Transitive dependecies

Posted by Sebastien Brunot <sb...@ilog.fr>.
Thanks for the hint barrett, it is valuable to me (using dependency
plugin to copy jars in WEB-INF/lib instead of declaring dependencies).

Sebastien

RE: Transitive dependecies

RE: Transitive dependecies