Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Timothy Murphy <ti...@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> on 2006/10/05 17:41:11 UTC

On spamassassin usage, from an sa ignoramus

I receive email on my desktop from 3 pop3 servers
(for example, pop.gmail.com).
I usually read it from there on my laptop.

I'm running Fedora-5 with KDE, and use kmail for email.

I tried running the Tools=>Anti-Spam Wizard in kmail
but found this was fairly disastrous,
as it runs spamc on each email it fetches,
which meant I had to wait several minutes after starting kmai
before I could read any mail.

So I started running fetchmail as a cron job from each mail server.
This seems to work fine.
What puzzles me is that I never saw this suggested anywhere.
Am I missing some obvious alternative?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Re: On spamassassin usage, from an sa ignoramus

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> So I started running fetchmail as a cron job from each mail server.
> This seems to work fine.
> What puzzles me is that I never saw this suggested anywhere.
> Am I missing some obvious alternative?

Nope, this is a moderately standard way to do this.  Fetchmail->procmail->SA
(spamc/spamd)->delivery stuff.

It has been discussed, but not a lot.  Most perople on the list seem to be
running Big Machines and would be on the feeding end of the pop3 link, so
they don't have much use fo r this sort of solution.  There are probably
half a dozen perople (including myself) on the list that do this.

        Loren

Re: On spamassassin usage, from an sa ignoramus

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.
On Thursday 05 October 2006 07:41, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> So I started running fetchmail as a cron job from each mail server.
> This seems to work fine.
> What puzzles me is that I never saw this suggested anywhere.
> Am I missing some obvious alternative?

I suggest you will wait several minutes in either case.

Side note:  First, be sure you look carefully at the Kmail setup.  Given
free reign it will find every spam solution on your box and send the mail
thru all of them.  Set it to pick ONE, preferably SA, IMHO, and it will
be faster.

Fetchmail simply gets the mail in the background and hands it off to what
ever you wish, such as procmail, or sendmail, etc. which in turn can call SA
for you. But the time to process is the same, its just that you are not
waiting for kmail to finish.

Further, fetchmail is a daemon, and not intended to be run from
a cronjob.  Start it at boot, and leave it running.

By the way, I use this method as well, on several sites where mail
must be popped, and its pretty reliable.

--
John Andersen