Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Eric Hawkes <eh...@sonicwall.com> on 2011/07/18 23:43:57 UTC

Error dialog with the word "environment" misspelled as "envionment"

Hi,

We are attempting to upgrade our product from using tomcat 6.0.29 to 6.0.32 (and also  upgrade to the latest patch of Java 6).  This process has been rocky, and when I installed the latest version of our product on windows, the tomcat service would not start, and I saw an error dialog (below) with text:

The {0} envionment variable does not point to a working 32-bit JDK or JRE

If windows does not auto-correct it, you will see that the word "environment" is misspelled as "envionment" - missing the letter "r".

[cid:image001.png@01CC4558.95A81140]

I'm sure the cause of the error is in our own product.  I only mention it because when I saw an anonymous error dialog with a misspelled word, my first thought was that I had a computer virus or some other malware.  If there is a spelling error in a tomcat dialog, I'm sure somebody is fastidious enough to want to fix it.

Can anybody verify whether this dialog was really generated by tomcat?

This probably isn't relevant, but I am running Windows 7 Professional on a 64-bit machine.  We are, in fact, bundling a 32-bit JRE in our product.  Tomcat was installed via a zipfile, but probably configured incorrectly.  Once again, I am not asking for help determining the cause of the error dialog: I am merely reporting the typographical error.

Thanks,

Eric

RE: Error dialog with the word "environment" misspelled as "envionment"

Posted by Eric Hawkes <eh...@sonicwall.com>.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for looking into this.

Dismissing the original dialog results in a series of additional dialogs which seem to imply that something called exe4j is the source.  According to their website's help document, "exe4j creates Windows executables that invoke your Java applications and integrates them into the Windows environment."  I had never heard of exe4j, and I'm not sure what application I have installed that uses it.  My best guess now is that exe4j has the typo in their code base.

Thanks again,

Eric

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 18/07/2011 23:59, Eric Hawkes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running tomcat as a windows service.  The service starts automatically after the machine is rebooted.
>>
>> The "Path to executable" in the tomcat service properties dialog is
>> "C:\Program Files (x86)\SonicWallES\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\bin\tomcat6.exe" //RS//Tomcat6
>>
>> It is highly likely that our current build is failing to upgrade tomcat due to some foolish errors in our own code.
>>
>> If I were looking in my own product's source tree, I might do something like grep the appropriate part of the source base for the misspelled word "envionment" but I'm not familiar with the tomcat source tree.
>
> I've done that for Tomcat and Commons Daemon (including the source
> history) and can find no such mis-spelling.

Maybe this is to cross-reference with the other recent post "Invalid command 'SHUTDOW'
received" ? There may be a new type of malware affecting Windows PCs, which just randomly
drops Tomcat-relevant letters from time to time...
;-)

Re: Error dialog with the word "environment" misspelled as "envionment"

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/07/2011 23:59, Eric Hawkes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running tomcat as a windows service.  The service starts automatically after the machine is rebooted.
>
> The "Path to executable" in the tomcat service properties dialog is
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\SonicWallES\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\bin\tomcat6.exe" //RS//Tomcat6
>
> It is highly likely that our current build is failing to upgrade tomcat due to some foolish errors in our own code.
>
> If I were looking in my own product's source tree, I might do something like grep the appropriate part of the source base for the misspelled word "envionment" but I'm not familiar with the tomcat source tree.

I've done that for Tomcat and Commons Daemon (including the source
history) and can find no such mis-spelling.

Mark

RE: Error dialog with the word "environment" misspelled as "envionment"

> We are attempting to upgrade our product from using tomcat 6.0.29 to 6.0.32 (and also  upgrade to the latest patch of Java 6).  This process has been rocky, and when I installed the latest version of our product on windows, the tomcat service would not start, and I saw an error dialog (below) with text:
>
> The {0} envionment variable does not point to a working 32-bit JDK or JRE
>
> If windows does not auto-correct it, you will see that the word "environment" is misspelled as "envionment" - missing the letter "r".
>

> [cid:image001.png@01CC4558.95A81140]
>

> I'm sure the cause of the error is in our own product.  I only mention it because when I saw an anonymous error dialog with a misspelled word, my first thought was that I had a computer virus or some other malware.  If there is a spelling error in a tomcat dialog, I'm sure somebody is fastidious enough to want to fix it.
>
> Can anybody verify whether this dialog was really generated by tomcat?
>
> This probably isn't relevant, but I am running Windows 7 Professional on a 64-bit machine.  We are, in fact, bundling a 32-bit JRE in our product.  Tomcat was installed via a zipfile, but probably configured incorrectly.  Once again, I am not asking for help determining the cause of the error dialog: I am merely reporting the typographical error.

The information above is a bit confusing.
Are you running Tomcat as a Windows Service ?
How is Tomcat being started ?

Re: Error dialog with the word "environment" misspelled as "envionment"

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.