Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Adrian Hoe <ma...@adrianhoe.com> on 2005/06/08 01:42:30 UTC

svn+ssh login

Hi,

I have configured my server to run subversion via xinet. But, it looks
like the only way for a remote client to access svn is via, e.g.:

    svn co svn+ssh://ip_address_or_host_name/path

And this requires to create a login account on the server.

The problem is that we are having university students (interns) accessing
our svn server and they come and go. We also don't wish them to be able to
ssh or sftp into our server.

I tried:

    svn co svn://ip_address_or_host_name/path

and it didn't work. I check the svnserve.conf under the project/conf
directory. This works when I run svnserve as daemon.

This is my xinet setup:
service svnserver
{
         disable         = no
         socket_type     = stream
         protocol        = tcp
         wait            = no
         user            = root
         server          = /usr/bin/svnserve
         server_args     = -i -r /svn
}

How can I do both svn and svn+ssh?

tia.
--
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo DaVinci.
"Complexity is simplicity that has failed." - Adrian Hoe, June 23 2004.

Re: svn+ssh login

Posted by Adrian Hoe <ma...@adrianhoe.com>.
On Jun 9, 2005, at 12:02 AM, Joerg Hessdoerfer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday 08 June 2005 17:30, Adrian Hoe wrote:

>>> There's no port configured there, I imagine that would be a problem.
>>>

>> The port number 3690 has been setup in /etc/services. inet or xinet
>> does not take care of port number.
>>

> you have made sure that there's a line in /etc/services like this:
>
> svnserver           3690/tcp        # stanalone svn server
>
> especially that the names match? (Cause xinetd takes care of the
> port number
> (what else?) but it gets them from the /etc/services file...)

Yes! It works. I had a typo mistake in /etc/service. To keep it
simple, I changed svnserver to svn. :-)

Thanks.
--
"If you missed the rising sun and the morning dew, don't miss the
beautiful sunset." -- Adrian Hoe inspired by Michal Nowak, June 15 2004

Re: svn+ssh login

Posted by john geldman <jg...@gmail.com>.
What is the failure symptom? No response? Cyrptic warning?

Possibiilites:
Is SSH active (and does it work?
Can you SSH in?

Oh, look in the book about adding -t (tunnel option) to your xinet setup

Note the pointer Eric gave me a couple of days ago (which was the key for me)
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ssh-svnserve-location

Good luck, John

Re: svn+ssh login

Posted by Joerg Hessdoerfer <Jo...@sea-gmbh.com>.
Hi,

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 17:30, Adrian Hoe wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2005, at 5:17 PM, Max Bowsher wrote:
> > Adrian Hoe wrote:
> >> This is my xinet setup:
> >> service svnserver
> >> {
> >>         disable         = no
> >>         socket_type     = stream
> >>         protocol        = tcp
> >>         wait            = no
> >>         user            = root
> >>         server          = /usr/bin/svnserve
> >>         server_args     = -i -r /svn
> >> }
> >
> > There's no port configured there, I imagine that would be a problem.
>
> The port number 3690 has been setup in /etc/services. inet or xinet
> does not take care of port number.

you have made sure that there's a line in /etc/services like this:

svnserver           3690/tcp        # stanalone svn server

especially that the names match? (Cause xinetd takes care of the port number
(what else?) but it gets them from the /etc/services file...)

> Still haven't figured out how to make connection using svn and svn
> +ssh. Anyone?
>
> tia
> --
> "If you missed the rising sun and the morning dew, don't miss the
> beautiful sunset." -- Adrian Hoe inspired by Michal Nowak, June 15 2004
> http://adrianhoe.com

HTH,
	Joe

Re: svn+ssh login

Posted by Adrian Hoe <ma...@adrianhoe.com>.

Re: svn+ssh login

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Adrian Hoe wrote:
> This is my xinet setup:
> service svnserver
> {
>         disable         = no
>         socket_type     = stream
>         protocol        = tcp
>         wait            = no
>         user            = root
>         server          = /usr/bin/svnserve
>         server_args     = -i -r /svn
> }

There's no port configured there, I imagine that would be a problem.

Max.