Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu> on 2009/03/20 20:51:49 UTC

catchall JIRA issue for really minor changes

Re: catchall JIRA issue for really minor changes

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
The process for the community is a community decision.  There is no
requirement on the Apache side.  I think the right balance will vary
on project.  I agree with Alan's assessment.

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
ok thanks. This makes sense.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 25, 2009, at 11:26 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> That strikes me as a bit of an overkill.  For example, if you see a
> variable that can be named a little better or if there's a spelling
> error then I don't see the need to file a Jira at all.
>
> In my opinion Jira is, in addition to a tracking mechanism for
> what's going into which release, a communication mechanism for
> developers to announce what they feel needs to be done and who
> intends to work on it; it's kinda a macroscopic thing.  It is also a
> mechanism for the community to officially make its wishes known as
> well as the usual bug reporting thing.
>
> Mentors?  Thoughts?

Totally agree.

--kevan

Re: catchall JIRA issue for really minor changes

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <al...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 20, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Josh Thompson wrote:

> Sometimes, we run across a really minor issue while working on a
> separate
> issue.  Rather than creating a JIRA issue for each of these minor
> items, what
> do you think about creating a catchall issue for each component/
> version
> combination (i.e., issue for frontend v2.1, issue for backend v2.1,
> issue for
> frontend v2.2, etc).  Then, when something minor comes up, the
> subversion
> commit is tagged with the catchall issue number for that version.
>
> This way, the bugs are still tracked, but we don't have to create a
> separate
> issue for things like a regular expression that should have used a +
> instead
> of the * that was already being used.
>
> I'd also suggest that the catchall issue not be created for a
> component/version until it is needed.
>
> Thoughts?

That strikes me as a bit of an overkill.  For example, if you see a
variable that can be named a little better or if there's a spelling
error then I don't see the need to file a Jira at all.

In my opinion Jira is, in addition to a tracking mechanism for what's
going into which release, a communication mechanism for developers to
announce what they feel needs to be done and who intends to work on
it; it's kinda a macroscopic thing.  It is also a mechanism for the
community to officially make its wishes known as well as the usual bug
reporting thing.

Mentors?  Thoughts?

Regards,
Alan