Posted to dev@chemistry.apache.org by Jens Hübel <jh...@opentext.com> on 2012/03/07 13:33:22 UTC

Some CMIS Javascript Client code

Hi Chemistries,

a few of you who follow the svn notifications might have noticed that I have created a Javascript client in the playground area: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/chemistry/playground/chemistry-opencmis-javascript-client/

It is something very simple and very incomplete but can act as an example how to build a CMIS client application running in the browser. It uses jquery and consists of three parts:

-          a library with some potential of reuse (cmislib.js)

-          an ugly and simplistic html page with some javascript using the library (index.html)

-          a "test suite" or perhaps more a template how to build one (test.html + testscmislib.js)

This is a maven subproject that compiles to .war and can be easily deployed. All the client logic runs in the browser. It is not in the state to be something ready to be used. I did this primarily to get some experience with the browser binding running in the browser. I think it could still have some value as a kind of tutorial or copy/paste source for people who want to build a CMIS application in Javascript. Only the most important CMIS features are covered.

As I am not a Javascript programmer be a little patient if you find things that are fundamentally flawed in the code ;) but feel free to share your comments here....

Assume you have renamed the .war file to jsclient.war and copied it to the webapps of a Tomcat installation you can open a browser with the following URLs:

http://localhost:8080/jsclient/ (runs the demo page)
http://localhost:8080/jsclient/tests.html (run the tests)

The tests will only run successfully on a fresh server instance of InMemory as they require a certain server state at the moment. The content upload does not work in all browsers.

In case there should be some interest within the community we may extend this at some point to something usable. Contributors or code contributions are welcome.

I have a deployment currently here (but this will not be maintained for a long time):
http://ec2-184-72-233-127.compute-1.amazonaws.com/jsclient/

You can download a package which is ready to run on your own machine from here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9790779/cmisdemo.zip

I will send  a copy of this email to the CMIS TC mailing list as well.

Jens