Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sean Moss-Pultz <se...@moss-pultz.com> on 2004/03/25 10:03:17 UTC

filename case renaming issue (FAQ A.2.4)

Hopefully someone can help clarify what I'm doing wrong here....

1) rename using TortoiseSVN menu rename from "test.h" to "Test.h_".
2) commit
3) rename using TortoiseSVN menu rename from "Test.h_" to "Test.h".
4) commit
5) update local copy (for grins)
6) move to _another_ workstation and run update command. Note: If I run
update from the same workstation I will not get the following error
message.
7) get error message "Failed to to add file '<....path...>/Test.h':
object of the same name already exists"

I know of the renaming issue from the docs (FAQ A.2.4 Solution B) and
this is what I think I'm doing.

Now if I delete the parent folder (on the other workstation) of the
file that gave the error message while updating and then update It will
work fine. I believe this is part of Solution A. My question is this:
Am I doing something wrong while following Solution B. Or does Solution
B need to be reworked to include deleting the parent folder as well on
any other workstation using this file. If the latter is the case, then
this poses a dilemma to other users every time someone renames the case
of a file. For they will need to be careful to backup the contents in
the parent folder before they delete it. Then merge the changes back in
later.

Thanks for the help in advance. And I would be glad to update the FAQs
if needed in either case.

-Sean

Re: filename case renaming issue (FAQ A.2.4)

Posted by Sean Moss-Pultz <se...@moss-pultz.com>.
Sorry I submitted this question to the wrong list.

Got confused....just have too many addresses in my mail client and
didn't sleep much last night :)

Please ignore here.

Posted by Douglas Stetner <ds...@bigpond.net.au>.
On 25/3/04 at 18:03 (+0800), sean@moss-pultz.com (Sean Moss-Pultz)
wrote:

>Hopefully someone can help clarify what I'm doing wrong here....
>
>1) rename using TortoiseSVN menu rename from "test.h" to "Test.h_". 2)
>commit 3) rename using TortoiseSVN menu rename from "Test.h_" to
>"Test.h". 4) commit 5) update local copy (for grins) 6) move to
>_another_ workstation and run update command. Note: If I run update
>from the same workstation I will not get the following error message.
>7) get error message "Failed to to add file '<....path...>/Test.h':
>object of the same name already exists"

Sounds like subversion is trying to be 'smart' and roll the two changes
into one, thereby trying to move test.h directly to Test.h since it is
probably not required to take a file through each revision in order to
update it.

It makes sense, in a way, as if you are updating a file from rev 1 to
rev 100 you would not want it to go through all 99 revs to update....

Try to update to the file with a -rXX to get the middle name (Test.h_)
and then update to the next.

Note I am not an svn expert, so I could be all wrong 8-)

Doug
--
Douglas Stetner                                   <ds...@bigpond.net.au>

"In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men,
women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were
real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri."
                                                  - Douglas Adams