Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by David James <ja...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/11 20:38:05 UTC

[RFC] If bindings are enabled, install them with standard 'install' target

MY PROPOSAL:
If the user chooses to enable a set of bindings using "configure",
then we should compile and install them with the standard targets. For
example, if the user types "./configure --enable-javahl=yes && make &&
make install", then we should include JavaHL with the Subversion
installation.

JUSTIFICATION:
- If users choose to enable JavaHL, then clearly they want to compile
and install it. If they don't want to install JavaHL, then they
wouldn't have enabled it.
- For most programs, the standard "all" and "install" targets compile
and install the entire program. If users wish to enable or disable
specific sections of a program, then they can do so by specifying
different options when they call configure. See the official GNU
coding standards for Makefiles at
<http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Standard-Targets.html>.

If the Subversion team is in favour of my proposal, then I will submit
a patch to implement it. Please let me know :)

Cheers,

David

P.S. Related threads:
- [RFC] Streamlining Binding Installation
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2004-09/0075.shtml
- [SVN RFC] Making JavaHL easier to maintain?
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2004-09/0054.shtml

--
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~james

Re: [RFC] If bindings are enabled, install them with standard 'install' target

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> writes:
> >> If the Subversion team is in favour of my proposal, then I will submit
> >> a patch to implement it. Please let me know :)
> >
> > +1.  Is anyone against?
>
> We've had this discussion several times before and every time we
> decide against installing the bindings by default.
>
> Ben Reser's post in the last thread has a number of points that would
> have to be addressed before doing this.
>
> At this point, I see no reason to change our position.  -- justin

Thanks for the reminder, Justin.  I'd forgotten the issues here.

Re: [RFC] If bindings are enabled, install them with standard 'install' target

Posted by David James <ja...@gmail.com>.
> We've had this discussion several times before and every time we decide
> against installing the bindings by default.
>
> Ben Reser's post in the last thread has a number of points that would have
> to be addressed before doing this.
I don't understand. Are there users who would want to enable
compilation of the bindings in configure, but would not want to
compile them?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

David James <ja...@gmail.com> writes:
> MY PROPOSAL:
> If the user chooses to enable a set of bindings using "configure",
> then we should compile and install them with the standard targets. For
> example, if the user types "./configure --enable-javahl=yes && make &&
> make install", then we should include JavaHL with the Subversion
> installation.
>
> JUSTIFICATION:
> - If users choose to enable JavaHL, then clearly they want to compile
> and install it. If they don't want to install JavaHL, then they
> wouldn't have enabled it.
> - For most programs, the standard "all" and "install" targets compile
> and install the entire program. If users wish to enable or disable
> specific sections of a program, then they can do so by specifying
> different options when they call configure. See the official GNU
> coding standards for Makefiles at
> <http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Standard-Targets.html>.
>
> If the Subversion team is in favour of my proposal, then I will submit
> a patch to implement it. Please let me know :)

+1.  Is anyone against?

I will not have the time/expertise to review and apply these patches,
however.  I hope someone else will, but David, I hope you're prepared
to be as patient with this patch as you had to be with your last batch
of JavaHL patches :-) (most of which did get integrated eventually, I
believe).

-Karl