Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/04 06:43:30 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-427: Add AtMinIsr topic partition category (new metric & TopicCommand option)

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the great write-up and the examples in the KIP that help with
better understanding the motivation.

I also think that having such a category would help with Kafka operations
by providing a more actionable indicator.

One minor concern that I have is even with this new category and depending
on the situation some Kafka SREs may still need to define their custom
alerting. For example, for some, atMinIsr may be too late and they might
want to be notified when a partition is atMinIsr + 1.

But having this new category should be beneficial with Kafka monitoring in
most cases without having to define customized alerts.

Thanks,
--Vahid