Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mohd Amin <mo...@xymphany.com> on 2003/05/02 08:47:36 UTC

Setting up struts

Hi,

Been trying to set up struts for about a week without any success. Have
not been able to test any of the example WAR's available. All the
problem faced until now is during initial startup where it needs to
parse struts-config.xml

Some of the errors are like this.
-------------------
INFO: Initializing, config='org.apache.struts.util.LocalStrings',
returnNull=tru
May 2, 2003 1:08:49 PM org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResources
<init>
INFO: Initializing, config='org.apache.struts.action.ActionResources',
returnNul
l=true
May 2, 2003 1:08:49 PM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester startElement
SEVERE: Begin event threw exception
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.lang.ClassCastException@d6747b
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor43.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
sorImpl.java:28)
        at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.setSimpleProperty(Property
Utils.java:1789)
        at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.setNestedProperty(Property
Utils.java:1684)
        at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.setProperty(PropertyUtils.
java:1713)
        at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtils.setProperty(BeanUtils.java:924
)
        at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtils.populate(BeanUtils.java:729)
        at
org.apache.commons.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin(SetPropertiesRule
.java:259)
        at org.apache.commons.digester.Rule.begin(Rule.java:200)
        at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1268)

        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(AbstractSAXP
arser.java:459)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(Abst
ractXMLDocumentParser.java:221)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNamespaceBinder.handleStartElement(XMLNames
paceBinder.java:874)
..
-------------------------

Or can't find a global forward name. Even though in struts console is
ok.

Advice please,

Amin

RE: Setting up struts

Posted by Mark Galbreath <ma...@qat.com>.
Good advice.  1.4.1 is buggy; I had to upgrade to 1.4.1_02 before stuff
started to work properly.

Mark

Posted by Hue Holleran <hu...@openAction.net>.
I'm not sure it's related to your problem but I had lots of problems with
early JDK 1.4.1. Just to ensure it is not related to the JDK could you get
at least 1.4.1_02 (or even 1.4.2 beta) or what we now tend to still use
1.4.0_04 (we use 1.4.0 only because it plays nicer with netbeans). It seems
you may have a beta (?01-b01) version of the JDK - I can't imagine it's
realated to the error but might at least eliminate one aspect.

H.

---

RE: Setting up struts

Posted by Hue Holleran <hu...@openAction.net>.
Hi Amin,

Glad going to JDK 1.4.2 sorted this issue. There have also been discussions
on netbeans regarding JDKs - before 1.4.2 then using the "latest and
greatest" version did not hold as, for many, it seems netbeans debugger does
not like JDK 1.4.1 at all. 1.4.0 is fine, 1.4.2 seems better but its still
early days. The question has arisen on netbeans as to whether JDK 1.4.0
should be recommended (or even bundled as an option) to ensure the user has
the 'best' version of the JDK for netbeans.

I trust Sun to not take any backwards steps and build on the clearly good
work in JDK 1.4.2 - so hopefully once the production version of 1.4.2 is
released then it would be easy to recommend the latest production release
again.

Personally, I would prefer a clearer organisation of JDKs from Sun. I
appreciate Sun wanting sufficient testing of their latest releases but
stability of the java platform should surely be the primary concern. I would
prefer to see the latest production release offered as the main option with
beta releases under a separate area so users will more likely install a
production release, i.e. 1.4.1_04 is the production release but the beta
release of 1.4.2 is the first option under J2SE downloads:

	http://java.sun.com/j2se/downloads.html

This implies that 1.4.2 is the 'best' option but this is _beta_ software -
although users may not immediately appreciate the significance of this. It
can however give rise to the obscure errors you have experienced with an
early beta of 1.4.1.

H.

---

RE: Setting up struts