Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Fred A Cantley <fc...@csc.com> on 2008/04/18 20:50:10 UTC

svnserve and ssh

I am having problems getting a vendor's machine to access our repository
with svnserve and svn+ssh.  I can ssh to their machine and ssh back to
ours, so I don't think it is not a problem with ssh.

We are running svn version 1.4.4 on the repository and client machines.

I have tried setting up svnserve on the repository machine  in the
following ways:

>svn -d -r /path/to/repo
>svn -t -r /path/to/repo
>svn -t -r /path/to/repo --listen-port=22
>svn -t -r /path/to/repo --listen-port=3691

then try to access it from the client machine with:

>svn list svn+ssh://our.host.ip/path/to/repo --password my_svn_passwd

then enter my Unix password at the prompt and get the response:

Password:
ksh: svnserve:  not found
svn: Connection closed unexpectedly
$
$ which svn
/usr/local/bin/svn
$ which svnserve
/usr/local/bin/svnserve
$

I have also tried starting up an svnserve from the client side, trying to
point to the host machine and got the same response:

svnserve -t -r ssh://our.host.ip/path/to/repo

I would really appreciate any help I can get.

Re: svnserve and ssh

Posted by Alan Barrett <ap...@cequrux.com>.
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Fred A Cantley wrote:
> I have tried setting up svnserve on the repository machine  in the
> following ways:
>
> >svn -d -r /path/to/repo
> >svn -t -r /path/to/repo
> >svn -t -r /path/to/repo --listen-port=22
> >svn -t -r /path/to/repo --listen-port=3691

No, you shouldn't use any of that for svn+ssh.

> then try to access it from the client machine with:
>
> >svn list svn+ssh://our.host.ip/path/to/repo --password my_svn_passwd

Behind the scenes, this will run

	ssh our.host.ip svnserve -t

and it expects the remote host to start a svnserve process talking to
the local svn process over stdin/stdout.  If you try that ssh command by
hand, it should print "( success ( blah blah ) )" and wait for input;
type your end-of-file character (often control-D) to exit.  Try adding
a "-v" flag (before the remote host name or address) to assist with
debugging.

> then enter my Unix password at the prompt and get the response:
>
> Password:
> ksh: svnserve:  not found
> svn: Connection closed unexpectedly

The problem is that "svnserve" is not in the PATH that the remote ssh
server process uses.  If you are using openssh, then read the sshd man
page and search for ".ssh/environment" for hints about how to fix this.

I don't recommend running an svn+ssh server in a mode where you type
your own password, but I'll say no more about that in this message.

--apb (Alan Barrett)

Re: svnserve and ssh

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
I think I've heard that the file that's read when you log in
interactively via ssh (.profile) may not be the same file that gets
read when you log in non-interactively via ssh for example when it's
trying to start up svnserve. Unfortunately I don't recall the name of
the file that it might use instead.

Possible solution:

http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2007-02/0204.shtml

Re: svnserve and ssh

[...]